FORUMS: list search recent posts

keyboard letter jumble

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gabriel1975
keyboard letter jumble
on Jul 27, 2007 at 8:54:22 pm

Ok i have to put this out there, i am at my wits end...

while working in Indesign CS2 for about 30-45 min my keyboard jumbles the letters, for example if i type a "W" in a text box i get another letter? and of course the keyboard short cuts are gone cause the letters are jumbled...

it corrects itself when i save the file and exit the program. I reopen InDesign, and reopen the same file and it works like it should, until the next 30-45 mins of work

i have uninstalled and reinstalled the software twice. and it only effects indesign, i have not tried to see if it happens on any other adobe program that is part of the CS2 suite

and it does not happen in any microsoft office suites...

again only InDesign..

and just in case if it matters i am working on a PC

Gabriel

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: keyboard letter jumble
on Sep 20, 2007 at 7:39:23 pm

Try to reset your InDesign preferences

In Windows, start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete your preference files.

In Mac OS, while pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete your preference file

Is the letter that gets swapped consistent or random (EG: "w" always type in as an "e"). When thsi start try to see if this happens in photoshop or even just renaming a folder in windows or mac os.

Immediately after this begins to happen look at your undo to see what it woudl undo (incase it is a keyboard command inadvertedly being hit). Also try to see if ti is related to a font you are using, and if this happens in another font.

Lastly do a Ctrl Y to see if this happens in the story editor.

Interesting problem, especially since it is intermitient, never heard of this one, do u think it could be a virus, I know there are a small few that affect InDesign only.

Return to posts index

lev_lev
on Nov 5, 2007 at 9:45:05 pm

I've got the same problem on CS2, it affects Illustrator, Indesign and PS, but I don't know about the rest of the suite.

Only some keys are swapped, consistently the same keys, like Z -> Q which is why I notice it so often (Ctrl-Z becomes Ctrl-Q !)

Have deleted the prefs, no joy.

This problem can come and go; if I notice it happening I avoid shortcuts for the next few actions, then try the 'undo' shortcut which can have started working again. The problem does not seem to be related to a specific action performed in the programs.

Keys are only jumbled in the Adobe suite; if I use Word immediately after noticing the jumbled keys then it types correctly.

This also affects a french version of CS1 on the same PC.

It is really pretty annoying, if it's a virus then how do I kill it, if it's a bug then how do I update it?!

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers me dears

Lev

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Nov 6, 2007 at 2:36:26 pm

I do nto think your keyboard is defective, as going to word fixes the problem, so I believe this is software based.

This could possibly be a virus or a control panel like regional and language options is getting corrupted.

To battle viruses on the pc1) Ctrl Alt Del - look to see if any strnage processes are running. You can do a google search on the .exe to see if ti si a virus, then find it and delete it
2) Start >. Run >> Msconfig - look fo any viruses on the startup tab

3) Use free software like lavasoft's adaware, spybot

4) Buy some software like Webroot's Spy Sweeper, NAV, Spy Doctor or Stopzilla

5) Revert to a restore point before the probelsm started. I lawasy manually make a restore point once a machine is good, casue the manual restore points have a better cahnce of successful restore.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]