FORUMS: list search recent posts

Indesign CS2 indd file size.

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Richard Schafer
Indesign CS2 indd file size.
on May 6, 2007 at 5:11:47 am

I have noticed recently, even with the simplest indd files, they seem quite large... so I created and saved plain letter size page with absolutely nothing on it and I get an indd file = 724KB... (previously. letter pages with only a few words were in the 30-70KB range... Tried trashing preferences which did not make a difference..looked inside these large indd files with "file snoop" and there sure is lot of code in these empty files...

What's going on???

Would be happy to send one of these blank files to any one who could analyze it...

Sure would like to understand this.

Richrd in Rochester, NY

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Indesign CS2 indd file size.
on May 8, 2007 at 4:04:43 pm

Do a save as and turn off save with preview images to get this down to about 88k.

Return to posts index

Richard Schafer
on May 8, 2007 at 5:27:28 pm

Thanks, Mike... but I already tried your suggestions before posting... but. at your suggestion, I tried them again... Turning off preview and using "save as" on a fresh blank letter-size page results in file 716KB (!) in size...

My documents seem to work ok... they are just oversized...

Any other ideas?

Richard in Rochester

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on May 9, 2007 at 2:52:59 pm

Check your palettes to see if anything out of the oridnary is there. If you have no document open adn add color swatches or style, they will be added to all new ID documnts. If you reset the prefs though the color swatches should go back to the default, so not sure this may help that much.

Check under edit >> preferences >> file handling and turn off image previews there also. Has anything changed like plug ins or saving to a different hard drive possibly?

If you want to email me (cow(at)mikegondek.com) a file, I can try to resave it and see if the size changes.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on May 10, 2007 at 2:33:21 pm

I got your file, and now the same thing is happening to files on both my home and work machine (716 to 724K). Seems whatever this is, it will pass itself from one machine to antoher. Probably not a virus just a bug in the software that resetting pref does not clear.

I must have done about 30 saves and one of them actually got back to 80k, after I was playing with the preference for edit preferences >> file handling >> image preview size. Must have bbena fluker as I have nto been able to replicate this. Found nothing on google or adobe forums about this.

I found though that edit >> color settings >> Emulate ID CS 2 OFF will get files down to 144k on a new document, but not a save as on the file you sent me.

Return to posts index

Richard Schafer
on May 10, 2007 at 5:21:51 pm

Well, Mike thanks to some info from Adobe, I realized my documente size issue was related to embedding color profiles.

I started looking at settings related to color profiles. I discovered that documents I am currently creating have the settings under "Edit>AssignProfiles..." set to "Assign Current Working Space" for both RGB and CMYK.

I made an empty document with these settings and got my usual 716KB file size.

Then I changed the "Edit>AssignProfiles" setting for this document's RGB and CMYK to "Discard (use current working space)" and the size of the saved empty file size was reduced to 140KB!

For the simple stuff I do, which is either printed locally or exported (press setting) to PDF for printer, I don't think this will be a problem.

Problem solved... um, except... I wanted to make this the default and, with no document open, "Edit>AssignProfiles..." is grayed out...

I discovered that, with no document open I could go to "Edit>ColorSettings..." and set RGB and CMYK Color Management Policies to "Off"... Now, when I create a new document, its Edit>AssignProfiles..." setting is already set to "Discard...".

Thanks for your interest, Mike...

... Richard

Richard in Rochester

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on May 10, 2007 at 8:55:53 pm

Thanks for the followup, I really appreciate it.

Not sure what we can do to get back to the 70K range, but 140K is not bad in comparison to 714K+.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]