FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random 'database error' problem with InDesign - HELP!

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thommo
Random 'database error' problem with InDesign - HELP!
on Feb 13, 2007 at 4:38:20 am

Hi Guys. I've got a few people in my studio who have recently started experiencing InDesign crashes i have not seen before. (even more people with problem since i started writing this post) Seemingly out of the blue, they will get a message that says... "Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file "blabla.indd" is damaged (Error code:2)." Nothing seems to trigger it, it seems to be totally random. We're not doing anything clever with InDesign like importing exotic text from other docs or anything - these are dumb straight-up files. I'm wondering if it's a network problem because nothing has changed as far as the machines are concerned. I've asked some of the guys to copy their InDesign documents to their desktops to try and rule this out. So far no problems since. Does anyone know of any network related issues that could cause this? I don't even know what that error IS so any help would be much VERY appreciated. Situation Info: We're a small studio of about 12 artists all running Dual 2.7Ghz G5s, each with 8 Gig of RAM under OSX 10.4.7. We are running an Xserve G5 and an Xserve RAID via gigabit ethernet through a Cisco Catalyst 3750G switch. We're part of a larger network of PC users too. We DID have a domain controller go belly-up last week so now using a different one but that is all i know to be different network wise. PLEASE HELP! AHHRRR!!! Cheers guys. Thommo

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Random 'database error' problem with InDesign - HELP!
on Feb 13, 2007 at 4:17:55 pm

Tell us more about the error. Is the blabla.indd file part of the InDesgin application, or is it a file saved by one of your machines. Do a find for that .indd file and try to open and resave it (you may just have a corrupted image preview which is 85% of the file in most cases).

Do you have a shared library (.indl) file that that this .indd file may be part of? You may want to restart the server if that is not too much of a problem, and clsoe any shared liabraries until you find the root of this problem.

Return to posts index

Thommo
on Feb 14, 2007 at 2:05:58 am

Hi. blabla.indd (just a dummy name i used for the sake of the forum) is a file, or in this case many files that are created and saved by the artists on their individual machines. No shared libraries are used in our office. The files are not actually damaged when it crashes (phew) - but it is happening enough to be a real problem with downtime, not to mention scary.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Feb 14, 2007 at 4:12:53 pm

Do you get this error or similar: "Cannot open 'unknown document.' Database error information not available." This message indicates that the document's temporary file is damaged or cannot be found. You may still open the last saved version of the document.

What location do you have under edit >> preferences > file handling >> Document Recovery Data. This is the location that the minisaves are done. Should be set to a local disk by default which is good, incase a network drive is going down.

Also do you have any other third party software that is on each computer, like Extensis Suitcase server?

Return to posts index

Thommo
on Feb 14, 2007 at 11:03:07 pm

Hi Mike. I've been told by one of our tech advisors that this might be a server issue, so going to try a few things down that track. Will be back if we can not resolve. Thankyou for your help. Thommo.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Feb 15, 2007 at 5:43:22 pm

G'day Mate! No Worries, c'mon back if you cna't get it fixed, we'll put some shrimp on the Barbee for you.

Return to posts index

John Kwiecinski
on Jan 9, 2008 at 5:01:01 am

Hi Thommo
I just read your thread re:Database Error in Indesign and as I'm going through the exact same problem right now, I thought you may be able to help!
John

Return to posts index

Thommo
on Jan 9, 2008 at 10:10:16 pm

Hi John.
I can't for the life of me remember how that issue was fixed. Think I do remember it being a server thing though.

If it comes back to me how we fixed it, i'll drop you a line.

Good luck.
Thommo

Return to posts index

John Kwiecinski
on Jan 9, 2008 at 10:13:49 pm

Thanks Thommo, yeah if you do remember that would be great. At the moment, I'm pulling the files off the server to work on them from my harddrive which seems to work, but it's obviously only a short term fix!
John

Return to posts index

Geoff Thomson
on Jan 9, 2008 at 10:17:51 pm

What server system you using?

Return to posts index

John Kwiecinski
on Jan 9, 2008 at 10:36:47 pm

A powerPC G4 running OSX 10.4.11

Return to posts index

Alisa Kline
on Sep 24, 2008 at 12:54:04 pm

I found this thread when I had a database error that would not let me reopen an existing InDesign file. I resolved the problem more or less by accident. Here is what I did:

I created a new document and used the place command to place the corrupted document. I selected the show options box in the dialogue box. This let me look through the document I wanted to place (the corrupted document). While I looked through it, InDesign appeared to be recompiling the fonts and links. I placed a page into the new document (although I don't think this step was important, I think the repair had already been completed by this time).

I then was able to open the corrupted document. This reminded me of the problems PageMaker used to have with file corruption and how it could be repaired through steps that forced the software to recompile the document.

Sorry if I haven't used the most technically correct language here, I am not a techie, I just stumbled onto a solution.

Return to posts index

Geoff Thomson
on Sep 24, 2008 at 10:37:50 pm

Hi Alisa.
Thanks, we fixed this issue back in January (it was a server update thing).
Appreciate your help though.
Cheers,
Thommo

Return to posts index

Alisa Kline
on Sep 25, 2008 at 6:09:23 pm

Yes, but my problem wasn't server related and others looking for a fix might find this link and be able to rescue a doc. Sorry, should have specifically said I wasn't responding to your problem, just to the random passerby who might need the fix.

Return to posts index

Michael Graham
on Oct 15, 2008 at 9:51:31 am

I got a database error when trying to open an indesign file. Is there anyway I can retrieve this file? I don't know if this is server related but I have been having endless problems with indesign since we had a server installed.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Random 'database error' problem with InDesign!
on May 5, 2017 at 9:02:42 pm

It seems to be the case that your InDesign file is corrupted. There is many software which can help you recover your INDD file. But I'd like to recommend which I use frequently. I think this InDesign Repair Tool can help you in many ways. You should give it a try. There is a step by step procedure attached to it. Look into that it may help you.
Hope it helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]