FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text Header/Master Page

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fire Eater
Text Header/Master Page
on Jan 15, 2007 at 7:45:26 pm

I'm designing a portfolio of my work. I've set up the file with single pages. Most of the pages have graphics of the work I've done. To introduce pages for pages with content from a specific client, however, I'd like to have a consistently designed section page.

All that I really need for this section page is a text header at the top of it.

I created a B Master with a text layer that contains the paragraph and character styles I want to use, arranged at the top of the page. I then applied the B Master to a section page so that I could quickly change the text to say "This work for Client X." Lo, the text was not editable, however, on the page to which the Master B was assigned.

Is there a way to add a boilerplate text header to a Master page, then assign that Master Page to a page and have the text editable on the new page?

Or do I have to copy and paste? Or detach the text frame from the Master B?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Text Header/Master Page
on Jan 16, 2007 at 11:01:13 am

Being one of the least savvy of any of the people here and one of the working grunts who slams his way through a problem (and not always the most elegantly), I would probably start at the document level when first creating the document. I'd create a single page, place my recurring header info where I want it. Format the text so that the header and sub-header lines, etc., were formatted as I wish. Then I would duplicate that page a bunch of times for the other pages.

I am sure that others here have much better ideas that would be far more elegant and to them and the ideas I am all ears -- well, except for the hands...oh, and feet...and well, all the other body parts.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Jan 16, 2007 at 7:10:03 pm

Adobe has done things the right way and locked items created on the master page so that you cannot accidentally edit them in your actual pages. You need to hold down Shift Ctrl and click on the item, to unlock the text box on your actual page from the master page, you can then edit the text.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 16, 2007 at 7:20:08 pm

So Mike, if I have an item on the master page that I use the key-combo to unlock so that I can edit it, does that change the master page or does it then create a "localized" variant specific only to the page that I was on when I used the key-combo?

Thanks for the answer, Mike. I knew that you or Kelly or Erica would have a far more elegant solution than my bull-in-a-china-shop method.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Jan 16, 2007 at 10:43:37 pm

If you edit a master page item, while on an actual page, the master page will not be altered.

If you want to change somehting globally (eg: type tracking)on all your pages, you would go to the master page and change the item there, and all your pages will update.

Adobe has done alot of homewotrk when it ocmes to master pages, and they have targeted quality and continuity to take priority. You can even create a new master page B to be based on Master page A. If t a chaneg is done to A, then that change will happen on both A & B (works well and very intelligent). You also have the option to create master pages which are not based on others and independant of each other.

Return to posts index

Fire Eater
on Jan 16, 2007 at 7:52:47 pm

Thanks for the help! It does make me wish, however, that Adobe had given InDesign a conditional-text feature, ala Framemaker. Perhaps in the future...

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Jan 17, 2007 at 1:37:49 am

Instead of overriding the item from the master page (detaching it is a different beast) with the Shift-Command method, why not create a section header?

So:
Make a master page with the design you want for the section intro pages. Maybe your text frame says, "Work that I've done for" and where the Client name will go, insert a Section marker (Type>Insert Special Character>Section Marker).

In your pages palette, go to the first page of the first section (we'll call it Client X). Under the Pages palette menu, choose Numbering and Section Options. Type in "Client X" (without the quotes) in the box labeled Section Marker. Assign the Master Page with the intro page art to that page. The text frame should now say, "Work that I've done for Client X". All the subsequent pages in that section will get a different master page (or Master page of none). If you've already set up the file with master pages, this will be as simple as adding in these section pages, or at most re-assigning the new master to them and marking them as separate sections.

Hope that helps...let me know if you need screenshots!

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

Fire Eater
on Jan 22, 2007 at 3:15:48 pm

Dear Ekwoman,

An elegant solution! It solves the problem of the detached text frame (which makes for inconsistency if it should move). Your description was great also, so I should have little trouble understanding the moves.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Jan 23, 2007 at 1:08:29 am

Glad I could help...sometimes I'm not sure how clear I'm being...that's why I always have my outline and workbook at my side when I'm conducting training...so I don't ramble on!!!

Good luck!

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]