FORUMS: list search recent posts

photo book

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Oborn
photo book
on Dec 11, 2006 at 4:18:12 pm

i am currently working on publishing a book of my personal photography, and in putting together the book (using InDesign obviously......CS) it would have been helpful to know what resolution my images were going to print at given the particular size i scaled them to on a page.

does anyone know how i can retrieve that information? effective print resolution of a graphic?

thanks!

---------

shane oborn

oborn photography

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
Re: photo book
on Dec 12, 2006 at 3:51:28 am

Select the graphic with the either Selection (hollow or solid arrow) tool and look in the Info palette...it lists actual and effective resolution, as well as what type of graphic it is and what color space it's in. Hope that helps.

-Erica Gamet

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

ralphieb
on Dec 12, 2006 at 3:55:55 pm

The info pallette will give you the basic information but two other things are more important. (1) Pre-determine the SCREEN resolution with the printer - 150 line, 200 line, etc. Your CMYK resolution in pixels would need to be at least 300 dpi, 400 dpi, etc. to deliver the appropriate line screen. What matters is the proper resolution being achieved on-press which in turn relies on you giving the printer the appropriate resolution to work with in the artwork. (2) In converting to CMYK, the photos should have the proper black, mid and white points set. This will vary from printer to printer and photo-to-photo as each pressand each photo is different. Paying attention to this will give you the best reproduction of your photos. Setting this up properly also includes creating CMYK conversions with 'rich black' settings established by the printer. If the printer cannot give you these settings, get another printer for your book, or be prepared for a less-than-stellar-looking final result.

Finally, as an option you should use a varnish overprint. It really makes the photos pop like originals. The UV offered by many printers is good too but there are many variations of varnish and you can choose the one that is as stark or as suptle as your photos require. Varnishes are usually offered by small art presses like Nexus Press in Atlanta ( http://www.thecontemporary.org/pages/nexuspress/nexuspress.html ).

Return to posts index

Shane Oborn
on Jan 25, 2007 at 2:13:50 pm

thanks for the advice everyone. very helpful. some of it more in depth than i've ever heard.

i'm new to print. i've not 'taken control' of most of my printing. this is a whole new realm i need to learn about.

thanks for the help.

---------

shane oborn

Return to posts index

Shane Oborn
on Jan 25, 2007 at 2:17:34 pm

thank you for your response. that was helpful.

shane oborn

feel free to visit:

oborn photography
to view my personal photography

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]