FORUMS: list search recent posts

Page numbering for document and section

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
loginame
Page numbering for document and section
on Nov 20, 2006 at 12:23:41 am

Hello all,

On each page I would like to have the page number relative to the entire document as well as the page number relative to the section.

I would also like both of these page number types to reference the total number of pages, respectively.

So, if the page in question was page 10 of 100 in the document it would read 10/100 and if the page was page 5 of a 15 page section it would read 5/15.

It seems that the 'numbering and sections options' overrides all instances of automatic page numbering. So, it's easy to number pages relative to the section but the numbering relative to the entire document is lost. It seems to be a 'one or the other' scenario.

As for the reference to the total number of pages in the document and/or section, the only thing that I have found is the J2SAutodata script and it seems to reference only total documet pages and not total section pages.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Shane

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: Page numbering for document and section
on Nov 22, 2006 at 7:16:44 pm

So you would want to have both 3/100 and 3/15 on the page? Perhaps there is some plug-in that might help. But, you could do something like creating a text file with the numbers 1-100; one number each line:
etc.

Then, make a text frame only big enough for one line of type and import and link that box so that new pages would be added to display the entire contents. Just like linking a long story. Each page would show a different number.

Now, you can set the other text frame to auto-number and just section the different areas.

Somewhat automated but definitely a little herky-jerk to get that.

Maybe someone else has a more elegant solution?

XML tags might be a possibility as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]