FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign and Windows Vista

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SiMarsh
InDesign and Windows Vista
on Nov 14, 2006 at 1:42:55 pm

Hi there, Im due to upgrade to Windows Vista early in the new year
and am wondering if InDesign CS2 will be compatible with it?
I really hope so though I have read somewhere that if reinstalling software
and if its not compatible with Vista you can set it to run in the XP environment instead,
probably similar to Mac classic/OSX environment switch?

Does anybody know if any of this is possible please?

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
Re: InDesign and Windows Vista
on Nov 28, 2006 at 7:16:33 am

You are quite brave to be thinking to install Vista "early in the new year."

Windows XP has had 5 years of continuous bug fixes, and is just beginning to get to the point where it's quite stable and only the very frequent security patches irritate.

Vista will be brand new when it comes out, the development has been restarted from scratch once because it was such a disaster, and the advanced features that made it worthwhile to upgrade have had to be removed in order to get a somewhat working product out before the programmers' retirement.

So what remains for you? Eye candy reminiscent of another long released desktop OS.

Vista side effects include millions of yet to be discovered security holes, instabilities, and incompatibilities with popular applications.

I expect InDesign CS3 will be approved for use with Vista, it is scheduled to be tested by naive end users as early as April 2007, i.e. six months away.

If you're not doing layout for a living, it is of course OK to play around with the latest and "greatest," but history tells us that all new software releases have unexpected problems that can hold up client checks for long periods.

I recently got burned by a project that can not be typeset on an Intel Mac, not on InDesign CS2, not on Quark 7, not on Windows; only Quark 6 on a PowerMac works in this certainly slightly unusual case, although I have been told that InDesign CS3 will be able to handle it when it is released.
That project cost me several months of frustration...and now I have to suffer with the ugly @##@$%&* that is Quark.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]