FORUMS: list search recent posts

cover for perfect bound document

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Plant
cover for perfect bound document
on Sep 28, 2006 at 9:04:03 pm

I need to produce a cover for a perfect bound brochure and havn't done it before and I don't know exactly how thick the spine will be when it is printed. Any tips on workflow for setting up the cover so that things come out centered on the front and back cover would be appreciated. There is one picture that wraps around front and back then the actual spine will be a different colour with some vertical text on it. Titles that overlay the picture will need to be centered.

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
Re: cover for perfect bound document
on Sep 30, 2006 at 7:29:25 pm

Depending on how it is to be output, the printer can usually do the set up for you. If the spine is going to be a different color and not contain the same graphics as the front on back, then it's even easier. I would set up the front and back as two separate spreads with any needed bleeds or whatever. Then, set up the spine separately with lots of extra bleed area. For instance, keep the text within 1/2" or whatever you think the minimum spine thickness would be, but have, say, an inch of bleed on top and bottom (the area running to the front and back covers). If you're doing a PDF for final output, it gets even easier...just create the PDFs with the full amount of bleed...in the final output, the person outputting can reduce the bleed to whatever they need. If you are doing PDFs, you can combine the resulting PDFs into one file. Best bet is to talk to the person doing the final output and work out a gameplan.

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]