FORUMS: list search recent posts

New direction for video designer

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BURTON
New direction for video designer
on Sep 3, 2006 at 10:57:00 am

Hi all ... big (ish) question here... I'm guessing the answer's going to be 'InDesign' that's why I'm here. After many years in broadcsat design I'm going to start to do some more freelance (ie quit my job) ... I guess I'm going to get asked to do the odd print job and maybe some web design work. I'm familiar with photoshop and don't really want to spend the rest of my life learning too many new bits of software so could anyone suggest the correct route for me to take ... I'm from the old school of print graphics (way back to cow-gum ... this was glue not a creative cow confection ... and metal type) and am looking at using something that printers will be happy with and (it's probably only going to be simple stationery things ... letterheads, business cards, fliers) .... anyway any advice welcome. Many thanks for your time Roger

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: New direction for video designer
on Sep 5, 2006 at 3:53:44 am

Well, I suppose it comes down to money. InDesignCS2 is cheaper than Quark 7 and either are better than anything else for page layout at this juncture. Especially the versatility and broad acceptance among offset and digital printers.

However, IllustratorCS2 or even Freehand 8 aren't bad choices either. Granted, for a multipage document in Illustrator you would need either a plug in or just simply create printer spreads in separate files. But, you have the advantage of pure vector and with the filters available in Illustrator, you can get many of the raster effects as in Photoshop.

For cards, envelops, broadsheets, sales sheets, four page newsletter/pamphlets, logos and even web pages, Illustrator is actually better than you might initially think. Especially for the money.

If money doesn't matter, I'd opt for the CS2 suite. If you already have Photoshop, you're probably a likely candidate for an upgrade price for the full suite.

It's not easy to say which is actually easier as it depends upon ones learning ability, familiairity with the interfaces and such but I've always enjoyed when I can stay in Illustrator for projects.

That said, I've used Quark for about 11 years but am more happy with InDesignCS2 now that I've been in InDesign for about a year and a half.

Return to posts index

Roger BURTON
Re: New direction for video designer
on Sep 5, 2006 at 5:54:27 am

Thanks thumbslinger for you comprehensive response ... just what I was after. I'd not relly thought about illustrator ... I'll have a dig and see what I can do with it - best Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]