FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign indexing

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ralphieb
InDesign indexing
on Sep 2, 2006 at 7:19:35 pm

Hi. I need to produce an InDesign index with a format that the program doesn't seem to be able to produce on output. I keep getting TOPIC-PAGE NUMBER- CROSS REF, and what I need is TOPIC- CROSS REF-PAGE NUMBER. Does anyone know how to get this format on output; I've tried about every possibility I can think of but can't get it to work. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: InDesign indexing
on Sep 18, 2006 at 6:53:04 pm

Good question, I do not think you can solve your problem in CS2.

The best help I can give you is to copy your index form InDesign, paste this into Excel, select and drag the 2nd column to the 4th, then delete the empty 2nd column. Yu can now paste thsi back into InDesign. Excel uses tabs to go to a next colum and return to start a new row.

Return to posts index

ralphieb
Re: InDesign indexing
on Dec 12, 2006 at 3:36:00 pm

Mike, thanks for the reply. The original info comes out af an Excel file. After importing topics and setting up references, the column swap won't work because there are entries without cross references, so when the index is generated there is no tab to work with (the index has 5M entries). Your response does give me an idea though. I'll try to generate the whole index with extra tabs used as separators, swap the colums I need to the proper positions, then delete the extra columns that are unneeded and paste back into InDesign. I'll let you know it this works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]