FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quark to InDesign

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gondek
Quark to InDesign
on Aug 8, 2006 at 1:44:07 pm

Does anyone know how I can convert Quark 6.5 files to Indesign CS2. Any tricks to downsave Quark to 4 and then use the open command in IDCS2. Has anyone used the Markzare Q2ID utility on the PC. I hate to suggest to buy this when I have other items on my budget I would rather see approved, and they are asking too much for a utility that does something you woudl hope InDesign could do since they did with Quark 4 files.

Quark does not work well on the PC and basic fonts such as Adobe Garamond Pro print in courier on any of our color laser printers (Ricoh, IBM, Xerox)at work. Prints fine on many of our black & white printers. Using Uuark is just too time consuming and I have tried so many things (updating print drivers, disabling extensions, flipping settings)to get this font to print and saving as PDF to print is the only thing that is working or having the fonts send as bitmpa which gives me soft type and slow prints.

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: Quark to InDesign
on Aug 8, 2006 at 3:53:06 pm

We've had the same problem. What we usually do is just save back to Quark 5 and then save from Quark 5 down to quark 4.

It's a hassle but seems to work better than plug-ins and utitlities, or at least as good.

I haven't played with the new Quark 7 beta, but maybe even the demo could save back further?

Though not real feasible with long docs or intricate graphics integration, selecting all copy in Quark and exporting as .rtf has kept all styles applied when then imported into InDesignCS/2. Or actually, Save Text As then choosing rich text format.

The style sheets themselves don't come in, but all coloring/hypenation/justification settings are retained.

kj

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Aug 9, 2006 at 4:23:07 pm

I have the Markzware plug in for the Mac and it works great...assume it works as well on the PC. It does a better job than the built in engine, I think. Many of my clients do the save down a version in Quark, then open and save down again (as suggested). It IS time consuming but it works.

I just got my copy of QXP7 and I haven't installed it yet (I work solely in InDesign, so I'm not in a huge rush)...don't know how far down you can save in one step (hope you can go 7-4). I also don't know if I can open v.7 QXP files in InDesign with the Markzware plugin...

Do you have a lot of files to convert? If it's only a file or two you're needing, I could always do the conversion for you...just a workaround until the budget allows, perhaps?

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

bilart
on Aug 11, 2006 at 8:11:39 am

Quark 7 alows to save down only one version down (6-6.5)

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Aug 11, 2006 at 9:42:42 pm

Thanks to everyone for your reply and special thanks to Erica for offering to convert for me. I rebuilt some simple name tent cards, adn sent the annual reports to the printer in Quark (they gave em a proof back with the Adobe Garamond looking good, so I have no need to convert anything at thsi time).

They may be using a mac which may have solved the Adobe Garamond going to courier problem. Sure is nice being on the other end not working in printing anymore and sticking someone else with the problems I usually had to fix.

I may take up Erica's offer to convert a file for me in the future in an emergency if the need comes up, but am switching everything over to InDesign. The files here at my new job are so bad from the previous media manager (over 15 fonts used in a doc, stylized bold & italics, inconsistent postiioning, no master pages), that I really don't want to use anything unless I ultimately have to. They had a liscence for InDesgin but were notusing the software (Thanks Adobe for inventing the Creative Suite).

Hopefully InDesign CS3 will update their conversion to handle quark 5-7 files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]