FORUMS: list search recent posts

New here - PDF creation query

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SiMarsh
New here - PDF creation query
on Jul 6, 2006 at 12:42:45 pm

Hi there, I am new to this forum and would like to say hi.

Ive been using Quark for many years and have recently decided to take the plunge and switch over to InDesign. Im now thinking that I should have done it a few years ago!

I just have a couple of pdf creation queries if someone could point me in the right direction pls.

I do a lot of magazine work and was wondering if there is a way to set InDesign to automatically create pdf's so that I can have seperate pdf files for consecutive pages, ie. 1 through to 40 but as individual pdf files and not a complete job embedded into one file. When using Quark in the past I usually create a postcript file of the finished document one page at a time and then Distill them all at once later. It would save time if I could automate the process to single page files in one go?

Also, how do I create a pdf or postcript file but so that I have the choice to view the dpi menu, ie 2400,300,72.. and create a pdf using any of these choices, be it If I want a high res file or a low res file or somewhere in between. In Quark I have it set to Composite CMYK and I can view the resolution list to determine which resolution to set it to. Hopefully I will be able to do the same in InDesign? At the moment I have to have the InDesign Output colour set to Separations in order to view the list which I dont want.
Hopefully I will be able to do the same as Quark in ID?

I hope that I haven't made hard work of these query descriptions, I can confuse myself sometimes!

Many thanks for help in advance

Simon

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
Re: New here - PDF creation query
on Jul 7, 2006 at 6:05:37 am

Hi Simon...welcome to InDesign and Creative Cow!

Your first question: exporting to single page PDFs from a multipage InDesign file. My question is, do you need to have each page as a separate PDF? You can export one page at a time, by choosing the page range (in the Export Adobe PDF dialog, General panel, under Pages, select Range and type in the page #). Each page will be its own separate PDF. I was thinking maybe Acrobat had some way to take a multipage PDF and save it to individual pages...not sure it can, but if so, that would be the quicker way to handle things.

Second question regarding dpi of a PDF: a PDF itself has no resolution...that is to say, a PDF is not 1200 dpi, etc. The individual elements in a PDF each have their own resolution. When you create a PDF from InDesign, you need to set that amount for each type of item. You'll find that in the Compression panel of the Export Adobe PDF dialog. You'll set the compression rate to "squeeze out" all the unnecessary resolution for color, greyscale, and monchrome (line art) images. First, choose a compression algorithm (Bicubic Downsampling is great for most applications...high end magazines might be better off with no downsampling) and set a resolution rate (in ppi or pixels per inch). For instance, you might want to use Bicubic downsampling to 300 ppi for images above 300 ppi. The presets that come with InDesign say things like 300 ppi for images above 450...but I don't see why I'd want to let a 425 ppi image stay at 425, instead of compressing it down to 300...especially if my output device won't be able to display the extra resolution (or if the press can't hold it, etc.). Choose a compression format and image quality setting for each.

One way to quickly check the resolution of items in a PDF is to open them in Photoshop. If I know that my document will be ripped at 300 dpi, then I will open the PDF into Photoshop (rasterizing at 300 dpi when I open in PS) and then view a page of the PDF at 100%. If everything looks clear then I know my PDF contains items with enough resolution...if anything's pixelated, I know I need to replace that particular item.

Well...that was a rather long-winded response...hope it helped some! Good luck!

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jul 7, 2006 at 3:58:30 pm

[SiMarsh] "When using Quark in the past I usually create a postcript file of the finished document one page at a time and then Distill them all at once later. It would save time if I could automate the process to single page files in one go?"

Choke, cough. It's time to leave Quark behind. I never ceased to be amazed at how much Quark users were willing to put up with just to do basic work.

Unlike Quark, InDesign is robust enough to handle larger documents.

Unlike Quark, InDesign creates great PDFs without ugly workarounds. Printing is also a LOT faster, and there certainly isn't the need to do a separate distill pass later out of desperation.

If the magazine receives a 40-page PDF, they can easily extract to a new file any page(s) they want, that's Acrobat 101.

Spend $19.95 on a 1-year subscription to Layers Magazine, it's a good resource for learning InDesign and the other Adobe apps that tend to get involved also, even if they are not your main shtick.

There is also Indesign Magazine, a downloadable PDF magazine for $39 per year (with promotional code "sampler"), that is packed with practical tips that will have you crying in your coffee over all the time you could have saved the last couple of years.

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
on Jul 8, 2006 at 8:02:32 pm

InDesign has a few presets that should work fine. Print quality is really suited for laser color output or, if you have a really good inkjet printer.

Press quality is the next which uses 300 dpi across the board for all images and files.

The 1 x/a formats are good and passable but also less flexible as they use across the board settings to help insure predictable output.

Either way, within InDesign you can specify the output dpi for images.

You select to export a pdf, save filename and location and then you click the Settings button and go through them all.

As for multiple pages, Acrobat allows you to open a multi-page pdf and then save each page as a separate pdf.

In Quark, you just create one big massive postscript file (or better yet, split it into two files) distill them and then use Acrobat to save out separate pages.

Return to posts index

SiMarsh
on Jul 10, 2006 at 12:49:16 pm

Hi Ekwoman, B.J. Ahlen and Thumbslinger

Many thanks for your response and welcome, it is much apreciated :)

Now that Ive turned over to the far greater side of InDesign I will definately not be going back to Quark! Thats for sure.
I did my first freelance project at the weekend, an A5 flyer completely in ID and found it to be excellent all round, user friendly, and I seemed to get the job done in no time at all.

I have only had the chance today to come back to the forum as I am still awaiting internet activation at home though at the end of last week I got in contact with our printer and he sent me some job descriptions and settings
on how they prefer pdf files for their press. I looked into them and the settings are part of a standard called Pass 4 Press and are similar to those advised here, thanks.
I will probably just tweak them a little as mentioned.

I would definately like it better if I didnt have to go in and pdf each individual page but for some reason our printer prefers them that way so Im going to have to stick with it for the time being.
I know how to extract or insert pages In Acrobat though does anyone know if this process can be done automatically so I can just set it running to seperate all the pages for me?

The pdfing process in Quark took such a long time. As mentioned earlier I first created the postcript file but when I went to open the print dialogue window it took several seconds just to open and the rigmorall there after was very time consuming. I think that I should half the time at least with ID which Im very thankful about.

I will definately check out the Layers and InDesign magazine titles, any advice and inspiration is always welcome. I am also looking into purchasing (or fingers crossed with a little help from my boss!) the Total Training video tutorial cd's for InDesign.
Has anybody heard of these or can reccommend them at all?

Okay, time to get back to those help files and get my head around setting up master pages and folios...its not coming easy today!

Thanks again
Simon

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Jul 10, 2006 at 4:45:57 pm

Great! Sounds like you're on your way in InDesign. I definitely think you'll save some time by making one big file and extracting the individual pages in Acrobat...that way you won't have to render the file so many times...which includes sending all font and image info each time...ugh. There may be a plug-in for Acrobat that does that...check Adobe's site and I use a site called thepowerxchange.com. Sounds like you might be in the UK, so maybe there is something local (forgive me if I'm assuming).

If the printer is giving you the PDF settings (should be a .joboptions file) then I wouldn't really tweak any settings...they have them how they need them...that's really the point of giving you the settings file.

I am an InDesign trainer myself and I highly recommend the Total Training series DVDs...I have many of them. I think Deke McClelland might be doing them now...he's a fantastic speaker and very easy to understand. A guy named Steve Holmes used to do them..he's really good too. Anyway, if you can spare the money they're a great investment!

Good luck with everything...keep us in mind for your next round of questions. Master pages can be tricky, but let us know if you run into issues.

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions

Return to posts index

SiMarsh
on Jul 11, 2006 at 8:36:14 am

Many thanks again Erica,

I will definately try out the Total Training DVD's now. Ive also had a look on their website and all the dvd series look very comprehensive and should do the trick to get me fully up and running.
No doubt there will be some more questions for you here also!

Simon

PS: Yes I am from the UK!

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Jul 11, 2006 at 7:09:31 pm

A really fast way to create individual pages PDFs is to open the multipage PDF in Acrobat. Choose document >> Extract Pages >> check extract pages as seperate files.

You can also form the pages tab flyout drag individual pages to the desktop, but then you have to rename each one and darg many more times. I also find it handy to drag PDF documents from the desktop to my pages tab to insert pages, much quicker than using the menus.

Return to posts index

SiMarsh
on Jul 14, 2006 at 9:34:26 am

Thanks for your suggestions Mike, I will definately try these options when my next magazine is complete and ready to pdf for print.

Ive got another query if someone could pls shed some light on it (I knew id be back with another! lol)

A magazine that I did has just come back from the printers and Ive noticed that in certain areas where there is a solid black block and a coloured block underneath, the colour is showing through onto the black where they would overlap thus making the black semi transparent in that area.

has this got something to do with overprint? I created the last magazine in Quark (spit!) and had the 'Overprint eps black' option checked.

How would I get around this problem in InDesign?

Thanks
Simon

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Jul 14, 2006 at 11:23:20 pm

Use the Attributes palette to see if the object fill is set to overprint. One way to check how overprints will look before going to print is to export to a PDF version 4 (that's Acrobat 4 or PDF 1.3 --- 5,6, and 7 won't flatten) and choose Simulate Overprint in the Output panel of the export dialog. You should be able to see how your colors will interact with each other. Hope that helps a bit!

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions

Return to posts index

SiMarsh
on Jul 17, 2006 at 8:33:02 am

Thanks Erica, I will try this a little later with a page
that I am preparing to test

Simon

Return to posts index