FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening Quark 5.0 and 6.0 files in Indesign CS1

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
damian_vrls
Opening Quark 5.0 and 6.0 files in Indesign CS1
on Jun 28, 2006 at 1:27:33 am

At the moment we are downsaving Quark 6.0 files to Quark 5.0, and then downsaving thse Quark 5.0 files to Quark 4.0 and opening them in Indesign CS1.

Is there a plug-in or update for Indesign that will allow us to open Quark 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 files directly into Indesign CS1?

Is there a plug-in or update for Indesign that will allow us to open Quark 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 files directly into Indesign CS2 if we rolled that software out?

Return to posts index

bilart
Re: Opening Quark 5.0 and 6.0 files in Indesign CS1
on Jun 28, 2006 at 8:57:06 am

Only Quark 4 docs can be opened (converted) with InDesign. Quark 5 and higher are written with totally different source code that is not supported by InDesign.

There is a very good app called Q2ID. Converts quark 3.3- 6.5 docs to indesign. And a good side is that you don't need OS9 anymore. I haven't tested it myself but I heard from people who use it, that it's awesome. It does better conversion than InDesign itself. Always converted Quark doc needs some 'cleaning" where Q2ID gives a lot better results.

check it out here:

http://www.markzware.com/q2id/?src=adwords&gclid=COTsjfDN6IUCFQfFEAodp3QAuA

Good luck
Art.

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:58:22 pm

Amen to that. I'm using it on my MacBook Pro with ID CS2. Works very quickly too. I had 55 [fairly modest complexity] Quark files, they took about 20-30 seconds each to convert.

It's important to use Adobe's latest update, and there is also a new Q2ID version.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jun 28, 2006 at 6:10:31 pm

[B.J. Ahlen] "I'm using it on my MacBook Pro with ID CS2."

I just got my new MacBook Pro yesterday, B.J., and just installed InDesign CS2 and the rest of the Creative Suite.

Any caveats/remedies that you have found aside from installing the latest drivers?

Thanks, B.J.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 29, 2006 at 1:06:31 am

I did have to go through the usual QT 7.1.1 install, Adobe's 4.03 update, validating all fonts, etc., but after that, ID worked perfectly in Tiger.

I haven't even installed the other apps in the CS, because I was concerned about Rosetta performance.

However, judging from the friskiness of ID, and seeing comparisons of Rosetta vs. G5 native, Photoshop should be no problem for most any normal use.

After Effects will have to stay on my AMD dual core machine though. I do heavy stuff and this is not for Rosetta, especially since Apple is still noodling on the plug-in interface standard for Intel Macs. I'm glad they're taking the time to get it right, but this is a total blocker for many.

I also just received my Shake today from Apple, will use that for a lot of stuff instead of AE, this was not an option until last week for me...

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:56:02 pm

Thanks again, B.J., for your time and feedback. I appreciate it.

I installed all the Adobe Creative Suite CS2 and the apps seem to work fine but like you, I will be keeping my copies of AE running on my Windows and other Mac machines.

But I am getting a bunch of Windows audio apps set up on the Intel Mac to see how they run under BootCamp. That should prove interesting. ;o)

Have fun with Shake, you will soon be paying a visit to your Dear Ole Mum saying: "Mom, my brain is sore!" ;o)

Node-based animation systems are a whole new thing when you've been used to the layer/timeline metaphor of the Adobe interface in After Effects, etc.

Again, thanks for the feedback, B.J.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]