FORUMS: list search recent posts

File names???

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bilart
File names???
on Jun 26, 2006 at 11:38:26 am

OK. I have a document with file name 27105 3445. I have change a size of this document to slightly wider about 2mm and saved it as using "Save as..." comand to a file name 27105 3455. New file that I created still prints with the old name 27105 3445. I have tried different methods, trying to save with another file name and than changed it manualy, tried to copy everything on to a new document, still comes out with the same old file name. I know that this happened before with exporting to pdf. Once you export your pdf with some name, and then you save your file, after that, no matter what you do to your file it will always remain the first pdf file name for export. Never before it happend during printing with re-saved documents. Is there a passibility that InDesign inheritates the file name and how to get rid of that

Please if you have ever come across this problem and have the solution for that, let me know.

Have a good one

Artur

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: File names???
on Jul 11, 2006 at 6:47:56 pm

Where are you seeing the file name that "27105 3445" prints as? I know of a problem on an Onyx rip, where a file prints with an old filename. Are you seeing this file name on a front end of mac or PC print monitor or on the back end of a rip???

ON your PDF problem you may want to open your PDF in Acrobat and check the File >> Document Properties >> Description Tab >> Description

Return to posts index

bilart
on Jul 14, 2006 at 3:50:47 pm

We kind of solved this problem. Two things:
One, the file name was very long and yet saved with ".indd" ext. later name was changed manualy (removed extension) not thru save as. It is easy to notice - when you open it actually showed the file name with the extension in the window top bar. Get info palete shows also file with the extension. That's why it printed with the old file name. To remove the old file name you HAVE to Save As ... with another name.

Another thing which kinda sucks: New file saved as "123.indd" , then another new file saved as "123". Next step remove ".indd" extension from the first file. You have 2 files with the same name "123" in the same location. I thought it was the PC server thing, but not You can do it locally on the Mac's Desktop. The file that we removed manually ext. will print as "123.indd", get info will show also "123.indd", and top window bar in opened document shows full name as well. I don't like that system lets you do that. Sometimes you can loose the right file if someone changes on purpose or accidentally the file name. ALways people look at the files label not going to Get info or wherever else.

I tested all kinds of different apps and the same thing happens. Only Apple native apps would not let you do that.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Jul 24, 2006 at 7:31:24 pm

Good to hear you solved you problem. I turn on my file extensions on both the Mac and PC platforms to help with this type of problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]