FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-applying style to exising text

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Salerno
Re-applying style to exising text
on Jun 21, 2006 at 2:54:59 pm

Greetings all. I thought I read somewhere that you can apply para style to text that is already in IDCS2 in a way that recognizes "Next Style" attibutes. Is this possible--a casading effect from the first para to all subsequent paras using Next Styles.

Alex

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
Re: Re-applying style to exising text
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:37:01 pm

If I understand correctly (and it's quite possible I don't), you want to use Next Style in a paragraph style that you've already applied to text...is that correct? For instance, you used a style called Subheading and you did not have a Next Style chosen orginally. Now, after you've created type and applied the style, you want the Next Style to be Body Text and you want these changes to cascade wherever you've used Subhead. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

I had never thought of trying to go back and make this change ripple throughout styled text. I just tried it and it didn't work. So, I pulled out my trusty "Real World" tome and of Next Style, it says, "...this feature is intended to be used while you're typing, not editing or formatting." I'm guessing it can't be done...though you never know...it could be available in a plug in or a script.

Return to posts index

Alex Salerno
on Jun 23, 2006 at 3:01:36 pm

Thank you.
I was just thinking: How about exporting the text to RTF and then reimpoting with some kind of Show Import Options slected? I'll try.

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Jun 30, 2006 at 10:48:05 pm

Here's how to do it (hard to find this little gem):

This will work with styled or unstyled text. If you want to apply styling that has Next Style applied (say Headline, whose Next Style is Byline and Byline's Next Style is Body Text), you have to choose all the paragraphs that will be affected...so the text you want to be the headline, the byline and ALL of the body text paragraphs. After selecting all of that, use the contextual menu (Mac: control click and PC: right click) on the FIRST style name in the paragraph style palette (in this case, Headline)...choose Apply "Headline" then Next Style. The changes should ripple through.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll re-post when I'm not heading out the door...just wanted to post this while I was thinking about it!

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]