FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening InDesign CS2 files in Indesign CS1 - please help.

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
Thommo
Opening InDesign CS2 files in Indesign CS1 - please help.
on Jun 6, 2006 at 1:56:02 am

Hi guys...

We are currently running InDesign CS (v3.0.1) and have started to receive files from clients in CS2 format - we are unable to open them with our version. Not good.
We plan to upgrade soon, but there are some third party product issues we need to sort out first.

Can anyone tell me if there is a plug-in or work-around to enable me to open InDesign CS2 files in InDesign CS1?

Alternatively - can you save back from CS2 to a format that is cool with CS1?

Thanks - any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Thommo

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
Re: Opening InDesign CS2 files in Indesign CS1 - please help.
on Jun 6, 2006 at 2:22:00 am

Yes, ask them to save back down to CS1. Also, run the software update for your version of CS1. There was an update that would allow you to open the files once they were saved as CS.

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
Re: Opening InDesign CS2 files in Indesign CS1 - please help.
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:26:46 am

The only way to open a CS2 file in CS is to have the client export to the Adobe Interchange file format. Not as scary as it sounds. On their end, they will have to choose Export>Adobe Interchange (not very intuitive, I know). This will result in an .inx file. That .inx file will open in CS. HOWEVER, you do have to have the most current version of CS (as thumbslinger mentioned). The biggest headache is that the update went from 3.0.1 to 3.0.1...yes you read that right. The version was at 3.0.1 when Adobe came out with the April 2005 version of 3.0.1 that could read .inx file (this is right when CS2 came out). To make sure you have the RIGHT 3.0.1, hold down the Command key while choosing InDesign>About InDesign. Under Application Info: the full version number should read: CS 3.0.1(838). If it is not 838, then you will need to run the update. For all the time it took to read this, and for you to do the update...probably be cheaper to buy the CS2 upgrade ;-)

Return to posts index

Thommo
Re: Opening InDesign CS2 files in Indesign CS1 - THANKS.
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:48:06 am

Hi Ekwoman.
Thanks very much for that. Really appreciate it.
Feel a bit bad because since i posted this one i have dug through a LOT of very loose info on the web of how to go about it, and did manage to narrow it down to exactly what you suggest here... a complex little issue that, like you say could be avoided by just purchasing the upgrade. :) Funny thing is we have maintenance so we already own the software, but can't implement it yet due to another software in the equation. Dealing with THAT now so that we can do things the right way round.
Thanks for your detailed fix.
Cheers,
Thommo

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
Re: Opening InDesign CS2 files in Indesign CS1 - THANKS.
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:57:03 am

Glad I could help...keep the posts coming...see you 'round the boards!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]