FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting non-contiguous text in In Design CS2 - is it possible?

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowboogie
Selecting non-contiguous text in In Design CS2 - is it possible?
on Jun 3, 2006 at 10:09:28 am

I'm new to In Design and wanted to select non-contiguous text in order to underline several different words. In most text editing programs one does this simply by holding down the control key while selecting the desired text. This doesn't work in In Design. Is it actually not possible to select non-contiguous text? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Selecting non-contiguous text in In Design CS2 - is it possible?
on Jun 3, 2006 at 10:21:12 am

You can simply start to highlight the text you wish underlined and drag the mouse until you get to the end of what you want underlined, even if you are dragging beyond the end of a page into text on another page, etc. -- which is what I read you to mean when you say "non-contiguous" text. If that is not what you are referring to, please give an example of what you mean.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cowcowboogie
on Jun 3, 2006 at 1:51:38 pm

Hi! Thanks for responding! What I mean by non-contiguous is text that's not grouped together. So for example, in MS Word, if I wanted to select the words "Thanks" and "responding" without selecting the word "for" in the first line of this message I would highlight the word "Thanks" then press the control key and highlight the word "responding" I can't find a way in In Design of doing this. Thanks again!!! Peter

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
on Jun 3, 2006 at 2:29:51 pm

Here's what I would do. Select "Thanks" and underline it. Then, select responding, choose the eyedropper tool and then click on "Thanks" as far as your example.

Now, the eyedropper tool will keep everything about whatever you highlighted so you can just start 'selecting' each word that needs to be underlined.

Really cool and faster than having to select and the underline.

Try it out, the eyedropper is awesome for just such things.

Return to posts index

cowcowboogie
on Jun 3, 2006 at 4:55:02 pm

Thanks a million! This is great!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jun 3, 2006 at 5:04:29 pm

Yes, the eyedropper tool is a powerful thing, as Kelly attests. ;o)

You can use it for duplicating settings and thereby standardizing things like setting fonts, type styles, object colors, drop shadows and other elements, etc.

As Kelly pointed out, first select an object which contains the attributes you want replicated and then click on the eyedropper in the tool palette, then using it, click on what you highlighted. That loads that/those attribute(s) onto the eyedropper and then you can click on what you want changed and, voila, they are now changed.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]