FORUMS: list search recent posts

What made you switch to InDesign over Quark?

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charles pierce
What made you switch to InDesign over Quark?
on May 25, 2006 at 4:00:04 pm

Greetings,

Our company has been on Quark for quite a number of years now and we have watched it lag evermore behind Adobe's pace of development and features.

If you had to pick just one area of InDesign that you feel has made your workflow better or faster, and which made the move both creatively better and sped your production, what would you point to?

We have a big decision to make and need to make it before we upgrade our Quark again.

Thank you,

Charles

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Ron Lindeboom
Re: What made you switch to InDesign over Quark?
on May 25, 2006 at 4:09:47 pm

Hi Charles,

If I had to pick just one thing that really helped me single-handedly design and layout a full 64 page magazine (Creative COW Magazine's first issue), I would point to the Overprint Preview function that lets you see what your final page is *really* going to look like. While it is not perfect, it is so danged close to accurate that it saved me probably two to three days of time, if I had had to keep jumping outside InDesign to see what things were shaping up to visually. Quark Xpress is not capable of replicating InDesign's Overprint Preview function, which I suspect is due to Adobe's patents and knowledge of all the Postscript, PDL, color-space, color-management and other technologies that are at the core of what makes these programs work.

The Overprint Preview function is an amazing asset to InDesign and don't even get me started on the way that InDesign integrates with Photoshop and Illustrator in ways that Quark wishes that it could.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Alex Salerno
on May 26, 2006 at 12:26:19 am

Just one? You will probably need more than one reason to convinve your comapny.

How about unified, syncable color settings THAT WORK.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 27, 2006 at 3:47:20 pm

[Alex Salerno] "How about unified, syncable color settings THAT WORK."

I think that sometimes people forget the history that Adobe brings to the party, Alex.

Both your post and my own reason that I gave to this question, address the fact that Adobe has a degree of control and mastery of the colorspace/PDL/Postscript technologies that can arguably only come from a company that largely invented these technologies.

I once read one of Adobe's annual reports to stockholders and it was quite revealing: At the time, the only product at the time that was a "line item" was Photoshop, all the other products like Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, InDesign, etc., were in the "Other Income" category. The big moneymakers? The money that Adobe makes from all the companies that have to license Postscript, their PDL technology, Acrobat, etc.

This validates why your comment about "syncable color settings that work" is so true and also so important, especially as these products continue to develop and mature.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
on May 27, 2006 at 10:27:22 pm

There are many other reasons as well. Better typographical control is the absolute #1 reason for getting my company to switch over.

The hassles of color can be worked out provided you take the time and receive whatever education one needs to get syncopated color output 'around the office,' but when dealing with higher quality printers and projects, you don't ever trust an ink jet anyway...no matter the brand or the price tag. True, Quark in every version from the beginning has had terrible integration with profiles and color matching but 6.5 was a little better.

Having said that, InDesign is much better when dealing with color.

But, when it comes to long copy issues, such as those for publications, the efficiency of setting type and reducing tweaking to a minimum within InDesign can hardly be beat by another other layout program.

Nested style sheets, variable baselines allowed for different text frames and the Justification properties are just too important to not mention!

Graphically, you'll save more time again (time = money for some so use that argument for the conversion as well!) since you can place psd and copy/paste from Illustrator.

The learning curve is surprisingly easier than you think.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]