FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a Mail Merge in InDesign

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco D.
Creating a Mail Merge in InDesign
on Apr 28, 2006 at 5:48:20 pm

I need to merge data into an InDesign template document.

How do we go about this ? I can easily have the data prepared in Excel, FileMaker or text format.

Can mail merge be performed directly into InDesign, or do we need an extra plugin to perform it ?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Creating a Mail Merge in InDesign
on May 2, 2006 at 9:29:39 pm

I just checked a few of my InDesign books/tomes here and I do not see anything like this. I will do some more digging and see what I can find. I know that it has to be doable as it's actually pretty common in the print world.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Alex Salerno
on May 3, 2006 at 11:08:23 pm

Hi. Very easy. Use the "Data Merge" pallete. Go to the Windows menu>Automation >Data Merge.

The pallett itself displays three simple steps. Obviously, create your template first and best to use style sheets.

The template can be layed out in either a master page or normal page. Refer to "Real World InDesign CS2" for all the info you will need. Note: I beleive that this topic is not covered (or sparcly covered) in Adobe's Printed Manual. It it not covered at all in Adobe's Classroom in a Book.

Return to posts index

Noni Boon
on Sep 10, 2008 at 6:48:03 am

I would like to receive the full steps on how to do a mail merge in InDesign. I will be bringing addresses from excel. Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Jun 21, 2006 at 2:48:57 am

Please note: this feature is only built in to version CS2. If you're using CS, a plug-in is needed. If you purchased the PageMaker version of InDesign (made mainly for those migrating from PM to InD), it will be there already. Otherwise, you can purchase the PageMake plug-in pack for v. CS. I am pretty sure it's still available on Adobe's site. Good luck!

Return to posts index

jez777
on Sep 20, 2007 at 12:32:24 pm

anyone know of good software for larger databases? I have 40 000 records to merge and inDesign chokes since the Data Merge will actually create a new page for each record.

Thanks if anyone knows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]