FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign Books

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Neil
InDesign Books
on Mar 13, 2006 at 6:11:21 pm

I've got a fair amount of experience using PageMaker, and upgraded to InDesign recently. I have had the hardest time getting started with it, and am currently looking for a good instructional book.

I have the Adobe Classroom in a Book, and it us just about useless. I really hate that series of books, because all you do with them is exercises, and I don't have time for that. I need a recommendation for a book that will give me a good crash course in the program so I can jump in and get cranking. Anyone have a good suggestion?

Thanks in Advance!

Return to posts index

tinocap
Re: InDesign Books
on Mar 15, 2006 at 11:38:43 pm

I've not used a DTP package for about 10 years but bought and read Terry Rydberg's Exploring InDesign CS2 (ISBN 1-4180-1432-X) last week and it's been very easy to follow and looked better than the others I saw in the shop (there must have been 10). It's black and white with a colour central section, but is very well set out and comes with a resources CD. It was about 10 pounds cheaper than the Adobe Classroom books. It's designed as a course and I think you might find some parts quite basic if you're used to PageMaker but is clever in that it introduces you to keyboard shortcuts and then takes away prompts so that you're forced to remember them. I found some parts were familiar but it wasn't at all patronising and it emphasises style as well as just the program. It's 350 pages and if you've got time to plough through the whole thing and you don't mind not flicking between chapters then I think it's great. There are a lot of projects to do as you go through. It's definitely not the kind of book that just goes through all the tools and the menu functions in order in the kind of abstract way that some books did.
I think there's a Scott Kelby book as well (they didn't sell it in the bookshop I was in), which if it's anything like his Photoshop book should be good, if you can get past his sense of humour.
Tino.

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Apr 19, 2006 at 10:49:06 pm

I really like the Visual Quickstart Guides...Sandee Cohen does the InDesign one...from Peachpit Press (in the US but maybe another imprint in the UK and/or Europe). Really step by step with more pictures than words. I also like the Real World books (Kvern/Blatner also by Peachpit Press) but they're QUITE LARGE.

If you're looking for a "To do this...click this, this, and this" kind of no-nonsense workbook, I have my workbook for sale. I am an InDesign trainer and have written the workbook that I use for my classes. It's really meant to accompany my 2-Day class, but I do sell it separately. If you're interested, please send me an email and I'll send you the details and website.

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions

Return to posts index

dondigital
on May 3, 2006 at 8:35:26 am

Hi Christian,

how about DVD training tutorials? I always fall asleep with this classroom in a book stuff.
Have a look at this link: http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/adobe/indesigncs2.asp?mscsid=

Great tutorial with project files included to work along. If you like it, I personally would also
recommend this one: http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/adobe/creativesuite2_dtd.asp?mscsid=

I had them both, check it out. All the best

Frank

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]