FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign vs. QuarkXPress for newspapers

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tylo_la
InDesign vs. QuarkXPress for newspapers
on Sep 14, 2005 at 4:26:27 am

My co-workers and I have recently made the switch to InDesign. What little training we had was poor and incomplete. Other than having fewer computer meltdowns, no one here sees any benefit in building basic newspaper pages. Everything that could be done with one click in a single tool seems to require two or three clicks in two tools now. Are we alone in this? Is ID better? R we so out of touch that we just can't get with the latest thing?

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: InDesign vs. QuarkXPress for newspapers
on Sep 14, 2005 at 5:33:54 am

Well, you set an expert in Quark next to an expert in InDesign and have them layout the same page with the same copy and images...you'll get two pages of work done. However, the type setting will be far superior in the InDesign layout and will have been accomplished much faster.

At the very least, being able to instanstly/dynamically alter/change and apply new justification settings to a single paragraph is beyond Quark and many other apps. Oh, you can do it in Quark, but you have to bring up the h&j's palette, make the changes, save them and apply them to see what happens. THEN, you go back and do it again until you get what you want. That's a huge time saver in InDesign for actual experts and power users and that alone is worth the switch. (Yes, you can flow copy among multiple pages in InDesign without a plug-in..as an added aside)

Kerning/tracking are about as fast in each, but the Adobe type engine is just better because of how it reads the metrics of a font file. Rivers and gaps you can park your mouse in run amok throughout so many of the ads and newspapers created today because so many 'designers' are just slamming copy in, picking a font and alignment and that's it.

Let alone the superior drawing capabilities within InDesign, the (though simple) effects for images and vector stuff like transparency...oh, and don't forget all the preset PDF exports which can render Distiller useless depending on your workflow.

It takes a little time. If you're thrown into a work flow that has deadlines, after about two weeks the benefits are more than apparent.

Quark becomes akin to a super 'shareware' app more than ever.

(I will say that I still use Quark when necessary....crap in-house art dept send us shoddy ads for publication and we have to fix them..and Quark is a nice app, but InDesign does more, is more and will be more in the future.

That's my 3 cents.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]