FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign CS v.3.0.1 [ Page Numbering Woes ]

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Brisbin
InDesign CS v.3.0.1 [ Page Numbering Woes ]
on Aug 10, 2005 at 8:14:18 am

Dear All,

Having major problems using the 'insert special character' > 'auto page number' and 'previous page number' functions. Every time i use it, it shows the same page numbers regardless of the 'special character' setting i insert. I have a document that has double sided pages, and i only want to have the page number on the facing page so that it displays both the page number of the preceding page and its own page number, i.e. 3 | 4.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer in advance...

Mac, OSX.3.2, G4 Powerbook, InDesign CS 3.0.1

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: InDesign CS v.3.0.1 [ Page Numbering Woes ]
on Aug 10, 2005 at 2:00:10 pm

Hmm..I'll have to look at a way to have auto-pagination for two pages but in only one text frame.

Off my head, have you tried not having an actual facing pages spread setup, but rather individual pages which have the text frame with the special character?

Seems like you might have to manuall enter the preceding page. But there might be a script you could execute after the fact based on the actual page number of the document.

As for 'previous page number' which is used with 'next page number' that function alone is worth a ton of gold in the publishing business. When you have an article that jumps from one page to another, it's a life-saver when pages are added or deleted or moved around because the 'continued on page..x" and "continued from page..x" automatically change.

The trick is that you need to make sure the text frame containing the special character (previous/next) is actually overlapping the text frame which has text that jumps. Same on the frame that receives the jump.

You can't put that character inside the the same text frame as the copy that is jumping.

Also, check that you don't have extra text frames already in place that might be screwing up the page jumps.

Return to posts index

cowtown007
on Sep 16, 2005 at 1:56:44 pm

Might be a dumb question, but are your page # frames on the Master page or the actual pages? I was able to make this work, but you can't put the text frame on the Master.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the page # frames have to overlap a text frame on the page. That's not at all intuitive, but I was very glad to get that tidbit!

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
on Sep 16, 2005 at 2:52:09 pm

They can be on either, but putting them on the master page keeps them "locked" by default. Anything you want to remove from the master pages via a normal page, Shift+command+ click on the item and it will be released.

The other tip you're referring to was the one I had mentioned when using the jump feature, a saving grace for us in publishing.

Put a small text frame with "Next page number" character and then link (thread) the overflow to another text frame on any other page and that number will automatically change to reflect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]