FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best File format from illustrator Logo file.

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob
Best File format from illustrator Logo file.
by
on Aug 9, 2005 at 3:14:03 am

What would be the best File format for a Logo from illustrator
in to InDesign going to 4 color press?

One With and without Transparency..
One With and without Text..

AI - EPS ?

Also, anything that I should be aware of when doing this?

Thanks for any help

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: Best File format from illustrator Logo file.
on Aug 9, 2005 at 5:37:03 am

Not to give you a 'stock' answer, but depending upon the complexity of the transparency, it's probably better to ask the printer what they prefer.

Normally, I place eps files for final files to a printer. However, if you are sending print-ready pdf's then the choice isn't as important so long as you understand how to make the pdf correctly.

Any printer worth his salt can take a native file (AI) and manipulate it accordingly to match a color proof or pdf you send.

It's getting much, much easier these days to supply either or to a printer but personally, I still do all trapping, flattening and such myself and send either hi-res pdf files, or the wonder step...I send a rasterized eps file from Photoshop which keeps any pre-press mouse jockey from monkeying with my files. The caveat? I'm more responsible, but I'm at a point where I know how to get what I need/want on an offset litho press.

When in doubt as to how an area with transparency is going to print, ask the printer you're actually using for their opion/advice. Despite my saying it's much easier these days, I myself...here in LA no less, have found some larger printers who don't really know as much as they used to or should when it comes to digital file preparation. Some, not all, have become lazy and think since we have the tools to do half of what they used to do, we should do it instead of them. So, interesting conversations can arise.

But, if you're worried about a drop shadow of a process-mixed shape overlapping a PMS color and you're wondering about the 'stitching' of that area, get a proof from the printer and print one out yourself to make sure the general 'effect' is what you're seeing on screen.

Illustrator can create more complex transparency issues on its own. Importing such a file into Indesign and further manipulating around that area can be tricky.

You can adjust the flattening in InDesign to be more rasterized rather then vector-based and that will usually take care of moderate transparency issues. Though, you're then essentially turning a document into a big graphic rather than taking advantage of what the PDF has.

Again, when in doubt ask the printer you're using or 2) save everything as a print ready pdf and rasterize that in Photoshop thus creating a large graphic. Any problems a printer might have in their RIP software will usually

Return to posts index

Rob
by
on Aug 9, 2005 at 6:09:06 am

Thanks for your help,

I have been sending PDFs for print.
But I was also using PNG files small stock.
Logo will be much bigger this time so I wanted to make it a vector..

For the PDFs I usually just export Press and uncheck all compression that I can find.
Could you tell me about the Transparency Flattener Preset and (Ignore Spread override) in the PDF presets?
or things to look for in the PDF presets?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out

Rob

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Aug 11, 2005 at 11:27:53 pm

Best practice is to use native files (.ai, .psd, etc.) whenever possible. You want the "flattening" to occur as late as possible in the print stream. Place your unflattened, layered Photoshop documents directly in InDesign.

Trapping is built into InDesign and does a WONDERFUL job. Some printers may also want to use their in-RIP trapping. These options (for trapping on output) can be found in the output pane of the print dialog box (you can choose trapping when the color pull-down menu shows separations).

As far as exporting to PDF for print, if you choose Acrobat 5 or above, you won't need to choose a Flattener setting because Acrobat 5 and above understands transparency (what the flattener is flattening). The printer will choose the flattener settings when he outputs the file (again, leaving this task as late as possible in the print stream). Unless the printer has instructed you to adhere to a standard (PDFx/1a for example), I would choose Acrobat 5 (in case he hasn't upgraded beyond that). You can have separate flattener settings on a spread-by-spread basis and the "Ignore Spread Overrides" is where you can strip any settings you've set for individual spreads. You do want some compression to take place to keep your files from ballooning. For most offset work I do and any digital printing, I choose "Bicubic Downsampling" to 300 (your printer may want more) for all images above 300 for Color and Greyscale images. For Monochrome images (line art, etc.) you want to downsample to 1200 for all above 1200 (images at Maximum quality). You can choose to compress text and line art, too which is recommended as that performs a lossless compression. Crop Image Data to Frames "throws out" any information for cropped out portions of images (parts of the image that are outside the frame). Don't forget to subset fonts when less than 0% of the font is used (Fonts pane > Advanced) because you don't want to subset the fonts (send only characters used, not the whole font) in case any changes need to be made to your PDF. If you'd rather no one but you makes changes your PDF, go ahead and subset the font (set to 100%).

Hope this helps and doesn't actually make your head spin!

Return to posts index

Rob
by
on Aug 14, 2005 at 2:49:56 am

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

"make your head spin"
No prob that's great. I need to be told the details like that.
So to me this is "a lot" of help....

The more info I get the better so thanks.

Thank you...

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]