fonts not activating with font book

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
s!
fonts not activating with font book
by
on Aug 4, 2005 at 1:09:39 pm

Hello,

How do i get fonts to load properly with "font book"? I've been supplied some fonts and installed them through font book. When i go to use them in indesign a message tells me that thier outline is missing and they wont print properly.

I'm using a mac on osx by they way.

thanks!

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
Re: fonts not activating with font book
on Aug 4, 2005 at 5:42:29 pm

Well, if you're getting the message that oulines are missing, you might not have the complete font. The only font types that are usually successful in Font Book are the dfont packages.

To see if they actually are complete, put copies of the fonts in the Fonts folder inside the Library folder in your User folder.

Restart InDesign. Also, it's funny but sometimes a program like Illustrator might recognize a font a certain way that is different from say Photoshop or InDesign or Quark. So, you might try setting that font in a different app to see if it works.

Bypassing FontBook by placing fonts in the various font folders will ensure the font loads if the font itself isn't corrupted.

Return to posts index

s!
by
on Aug 5, 2005 at 12:09:55 am

I tried putting the fonts that were given to me into the library/fonts folder and had the same problem. (These fonts were from an indesign collect for output).

I then when and found that i actually had the same fonts in my own collection. I replaced them in the font folder and it seems to work now.

I just hope that when i send the files back to my client, they don't have the same problem.

Thanks thumbslinger. What do you use to load fonts?

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:41:45 am

Could be just a different format like postscript versus true type. We have both versions of Impact at the studio where I work and I'm always having to replace the TT version with the postscript and the other people vice-versa.

Since they both work, it's very quick and easy to just replace one with the other so though one might think.."why don't you just trash one or the other?" it's good to have both in case anything with real specific kerning comes in.

Glad it's working out for you. We all use Extensis Suitcase for OSX and it works out great.

Return to posts index

jennifer
on Aug 8, 2005 at 3:39:17 pm

Hey! I had this problem. Are the fonts you are trying to load suicase fonts? I found that they wouldnt load in fontbook and had to buy Suitcase to load them. Could this be what's wrong?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]