FORUMS: list search recent posts

psd import problem

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laszlo Kovacs
psd import problem
on Jul 31, 2005 at 2:08:46 pm

Hi!

I'm (still) creating the cover of a new CD's booklet in Photoshop. When I create the same sized new document in InDesign, and want to place the psd, the size just doesn't fit. The psd seems to be smaller than is should be.
So where do I go wrong?

Laszlo
Life is too short to drink poor wine.

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: psd import problem
on Aug 1, 2005 at 12:46:06 am

Well, make sure the size in Photoshop is by inches/ or centimeters so that you're not going by pixels.

You're inches in InDesign should match. Also, make sure when you bring it into InDesign that percentage placed is 100%: click on the frame with the PS file, get the direct selection tool (the hollow tool) and then click on the frame. Check the % up in the control palette.

Items placed inside a graphic frame will take on previous percentages/scaling if there was an item before.

Just make sure you're using the same units in both files so that you know for sure sizes are all the same.

Return to posts index

Laszlo Kovacs
on Aug 1, 2005 at 8:32:47 pm

Here's the situation:
I got the specifications from the CD company. The width is 121 mm, height 120 mm.
OK, so I made a 126x125 mm image in Photoshop (to match with the 5 mm bleed in Indesign - the 5 mm Photoshop "bleed" is masked out later).

The Indesign file is the same: 121 mm x 120 mm with 5 mm bleed on each side.
I place the psd, the control palette says it's 100% and 125,9x124,9 cm).

Here's a screenshot of the Photoshop file, and here's the Indesign.
Everything seems to match, but finally doesn't... :(

Laszlo

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
on Aug 2, 2005 at 2:40:29 pm

In your screen shot of the photoshop, you have a comma (,) not a decimal... though your file isn't really 123,093 pixels wide, that could be messing something up.

At 131 x 130 mm, in 8 bit cmyk your photoshop file should be 9.06 megs.

I just made a photoshop file and an InDesign file with the bleed of 5mm and it all worked out fine.

Maybe the non US version of Photoshop accepts commas, or that's common in that version, but if you enter 131 in mm (not 131,0 or 131.0) and do the same for InDesign it should work.

Also, be sure you didn't accidentally chose centimeters in of the files at some point or that your units in Photoshop are showing one or the other versus what the actual file was created at.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Aug 2, 2005 at 6:35:33 pm

Instead of 300 dpi, switch to 120 px/cm in Photoshop. The amount of pixels you should have is (126 x 120) x (125 x 120) = 15120 x 15000.

The conversion from inches to metric is where your problem appears to come from. res 12 is 120 px/cm which is also = 304.81 dpi. Res 12 is optimal for many film/direct to plate imagers, but they round off to 300 dpi to make things simple (though it takes longer to rip cause of the interpolation-atleast on scitex/crossfield/hell it did).

Return to posts index

Laszlo Kovacs
solved - sorry guys...
on Aug 2, 2005 at 8:54:13 pm

... to waste your time, but I simply miscalculated the Photoshop file.
I created the 121x120 mm image with 5 mm bleed in mind, which is 2,5-2,5 mm on each side. So I should have made a 131x130 mm image instead. It works now perfectly!

Sorry again, and thanks for your help!

Laszlo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]