FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suppress Printout

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sincejan63
Suppress Printout
on Jun 27, 2005 at 3:02:44 pm

What's the equivalent of suppress printout. I am doing a job with dielines and want to make some objects non nrinting. How is that done in indesign?

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
Re: Suppress Printout
on Jun 27, 2005 at 4:58:29 pm

I don't know a simple way with InDesignCS, maybe in CS2....but here's a cool way it could happen:

If you can create templates in Illustrator or any vector program, save the file as an eps and import it into InDesign.

Then, when you print the document, under the Advanced tab and OPI check the Omit for EPS box.

What will happen is that the actual graphic imported into the graphic frame will not print, but the frame will if you have a border/color assigned to it.

I just tested this and it's pretty easy. There may be a way in putting all the objects on a separate layer and having that layer not print but off the top of my head, I'm not sure InDesign can do this. However, another means would be to put all your die marks on a layer at the bottom, then create all the content above in a separate layer. Then, come printing time, just create a new layer between your content and the die and put a big white box over the page so your effectively covering up the die marks on the bottom without actually altering their state. That works extremely easily.

Return to posts index

sincejan63
on Jun 27, 2005 at 6:01:24 pm

thanks, I did the template thing and like you said it worked, it's soo easy in Quark, just check the suppress print out check box. I do a lot of CD Disc amd I have the die line on the top layer which I use to position the context and every now and then I forget to turn it off so I was looking for a way to make it non pronting and save me a lot of grief. Anyway thanks, if you hear anything give me a buzz.
Thanks again

Return to posts index

Richard Schafer
on Jun 27, 2005 at 7:14:34 pm

If I understand what you seek, select the object you wish not to print and try...

Window>Attributes ... check the "nonprinting" box...

FWIW...

Richard in Rochester

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
on Jun 28, 2005 at 3:00:23 am

Well there you go. I could have sworn I saw that box before but couldn't find it and figured I might have seen it in InDesign CS2.

Great tip Richard.

Return to posts index

Ekwoman
on Jul 28, 2005 at 4:30:15 am

The great thing is, you can choose "nonprinting" in the Attributes palette for either the frame or the frame's content. If you wish to make the frame non printing, use the Selection tool (solid arrow) and for the content, choose the Direct Selection tool (hollow arrow). If you decide you want to print these items (maybe you're doing business card imprints and need to print the portion that is already printed on shells), you can choose Print Non-Printing Objects under Options in the General pane of the Print dialog box. That will print it for that output only, but you don't have to constantly turn the printing on and off in the Attributes palette.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]