FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about BMD Camera/Studio Converters

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Rutherford
Question about BMD Camera/Studio Converters
on Aug 22, 2018 at 10:14:03 pm

I am looking to piece together a basic 4-camera live streaming setup for a local high school football program.

I've been exploring all equipment and just came across the BMD Camera/Studio Converters. Looking at the manual, I think I understand it, but want to be sure I have a few things straight:

1 - Do the converters work with ANY cameras or just the BMD cameras? Basically, I am looking at some Sony cameras that have HD/SDI out - would the converter work (i.e. - get signal from/program return to/talkback/tally) for any HD/SDI camera? I understand that the video shading portion would only really work on the BMD camera setup.

2 - My assumption is that you have a Studio Converter racked up in the control room while there is an individual converter at each camera. Is this assumption correct?

3 - Is it necessary to have the Talkback Converter as part of the setup or will the Studio Converter be able to handle everything (source, return, talkback, tally)?

4 - Looking at the Talkback Converter and Studio Converter, they really seem to do pretty much the same thing... what's the difference, other than the Talkback can handle 8 signals as opposed to the Studio's 4?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Stephen Rutherford
YuletideMedia.com

SYSTEM:
HP Omen 870-244
Intel i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz
16 GB Ram
Windows 10 64-bit
Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Question about BMD Camera/Studio Converters
on Sep 28, 2018 at 5:58:13 am

[Stephen Rutherford] "1 - Do the converters work with ANY cameras or just the BMD cameras? Basically, I am looking at some Sony cameras that have HD/SDI out - would the converter work (i.e. - get signal from/program return to/talkback/tally) for any HD/SDI camera? I understand that the video shading portion would only really work on the BMD camera setup."
Yes the CameraConverters are designed to work with any brand of video source (camera or whatever). Yes, you are correct that the camera control feature works only with BMD cameras.

"2 - My assumption is that you have a Studio Converter racked up in the control room while there is an individual converter at each camera. Is this assumption correct?"
Yes one Camera Converter for each camera and a StudioConverter or TalkbackConverter back in the control room.

"3 - Is it necessary to have the Talkback Converter as part of the setup or will the Studio Converter be able to handle everything (source, return, talkback, tally)?"
Thousands of systems were installed with the StudioConverter back before the TalkbackConverter ever ever existed.

"4 - Looking at the Talkback Converter and Studio Converter, they really seem to do pretty much the same thing... what's the difference, other than the Talkback can handle 8 signals as opposed to the Studio's 4?"
The TalkbackConverter appears to handle 4K while the older StudioConverter only handles HD-SDI ("2K") You did not mention what Sony cameras you are considering, so we don't know whether you need 4K or only conventional 2K (HD-SDI) operation? The TalkbackConverter also handles 8 inputs (cameras or whatever) while the StudioConverter handles only 4 inputs

The traffic and response on this forum seem essentially dead. It appears to have become just a shill for BMD press releases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]