FORUMS: list search recent posts

Brand New Black Magic Build

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Foote
Brand New Black Magic Build
on May 23, 2018 at 1:56:28 am

I'm building a brand new Black Magic studio, from scratch. My goal is to shoot web-based learning in a format where I can transition from camera, to camera/PPT combo (OBS studio), to PPT only during the shoot. My goal is to all but eliminate post production. In my current build we are using two computers, OBS studio, a less than awesome camera that is gainy, and a Yeti. There has to be a better way. Help appreciated. I am worried that I am going to purchase devices that are not compatible or that are not necessary for this build. I am somewhat on a budget because I am a public defender in desperate need of web-based learning.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Brand New Black Magic Build
on May 23, 2018 at 12:16:19 pm

so exactly what is your question - what Blackmagic gear do you purchase ?
Are you going to have camera people, or do you want to use PTZ cameras.
Do you have mics, a mixer, tripods, panheads, lenses for the cameras ? Do you want Blackmagic cameras ?
You need to say what you want. To get a Blackmagic ATEM switcher is very inexpensive. To get a Blackmagic Web Presenter for streaming is very inexpensive. But there are a lot of pieces to a production system. Heck - there are a lot of pieces to a single camera. You need to say exactly what you have, and what you want.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Melanie Foote
on May 23, 2018 at 3:00:38 pm

I agree that I need to be able to better describe what I need, but I'm struggling at a starting place. We will purchase new cameras because the ones we have are old and all of our videos are looking very poor. The cameras that look decent don't have an audio-in, so they're hard for shoots outside our building. We will also purchase a storage device and a mixer. We have tripods. We have mics.

What I can tell you is the end result of where we want to be. We want to set up a small studio where one person will be on the camera and one person will be behind the camera/computer. The person behind the camera will do real-time edits. The end product will be used for online tutorials/videos. We do not live-stream often because our internet is terrible. We will also hopefully be able to take this setup with us for conferences. As for conference, our downfall has always been audio because our camera's do not have audio-in.

I apologize for being vague. I am not in tech by trade, as you can tell. All input/advice is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 24, 2018 at 6:35:15 pm

ok -
buy this switcher -
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemtelevisionstudio

buy this recorder to record your shows -
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/hyperdeckstudiomini

buy this monitor so you can see what you are doing -
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/smartview4k

your mics go into a mixer like this -
http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT%20RESOURCES/SPECS/Spec_Sheets...

and the output of the mixer plugs into the audio input of your switcher. The switcher will send the video with the embedded audio into the recorder, and you have a completed show.

This is a very simple overview. You will find that once you do this, there are lots of "little pieces" like cables, AC strips, headphones, etc. to make all of this work.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Melanie Foote
on May 25, 2018 at 3:24:21 am

This is very helpful. I have been looking through the site and came up with this:

Black Magic Cameras (x2 or 3):
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrostudiocamera4k

Black Magic switcher:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemtelevisionstudio

Black Magic storage device:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmultidock

What am I missing in that build? I was going to use a conventional monitor to view what I am doing through my computer. I think that I may be missing a piece.

Your help is amazing.

thank you.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 25, 2018 at 11:57:24 am

Hi -
well, I gave you a "starter list", but you posted this. The Multidock is an SSD card reader. If you get the more expensive Hyperdeck recorders, instead of the less expensive Teranex mini recorder that I listed, you will need to pop out the SSD's and put them into something so you can edit this video on your computer with your editing software. The Multidock is a 4 SSD reader that is rack mounted.

but this is a good example of "the other things" that you might need. When you get the recorder - they don't give you the SSD's (or the SD cards for the Teranex).

Same with the camera. What you have specified is a camera body. No lens, no viewfinder, nothing. Just the camera body.

I am not sure of what background you have with equipment list this. This is not a "home theater system" that comes complete with all the cables, so you can start listening to music as soon as it arrives. Putting together a TV studio requires a lot of items, and the cost starts to add up very quickly. Even though Blackmagic has made it possible to do this for less money than ever, there are still lots of items that are involved. This is why this is a CAREER for most people involved, not a side hobby.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Melanie Foote
on May 25, 2018 at 11:05:12 pm

I completely agree that this is extremely complex and that a professional would be ideal. I should have given you a little background - I am a public defender who trains other public defenders. With low budgets and high workloads, we are moving to a web-based format for much of our training. We need to keep our people educated so they can defend their clients at a high level, but also need to reduce cost.

To do this we are:
1. producing web-based learning in tutorial style via the web (this is why I"m building a media room for recording web-based learning).
2. recording and providing high-quality copies of our live training so people who attend can also benefit from the education (this is why I want to bring in several feeds so online viewers can actually hear questions from the audience, read the PPT when they are word-heavy, and see the speaker to improve interest/attention of the online viewer).
3. Once a year we have a live conference of important topics - we have multiple sessions at the same time, so I want to be able to produce high quality videos (in a format similar to #2) so people can reference back to other topics if they missed a session and need it for a client.

I would love to hire a professional, but simply can't afford to do it. The best thing we have right now is me: a lawyer who got a BA in media a million and a half years ago, and still remembers how to use editing software.

Your help and advice is appreciated. Thank you for your patience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]