FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pocket UltraScope

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Crowley
Pocket UltraScope
on Mar 12, 2018 at 9:39:38 pm

It appears that BMD have dropped the Pocket UltraScope.
Does anyone have an alternative solution?
My main interest is the ability to view the HD-SDI eye pattern for integration and maintenance support.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

James Brooks
Re: Pocket UltraScope
on Mar 12, 2018 at 11:50:02 pm

The pocket ultrascope didn't do eye, nor do any of the software scopes I have encountered. You need a tek/leader/omnitek for that, unfortunately. All the rest of the standard scopes you can get in software, using a USB 3 input device like the U-Tap.
J

http://www.drastic.tv

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 17, 2018 at 7:35:14 pm

whats a waveform monitor ?
what's an Eye Pattern ? What's a Lightning Display -
aah - words from a distant past.
I would not worry about a tiny scope to look at SDI signals. The future (the near future ) is SDvOE - video over 10G Ethernet, (and fiber) not long SDI cables. And if you are running high quality cable, or if you have enough SDI repeaters (like from Blackmagic), you don't need to worry if your eye pattern is falling apart, because you ran a
1080 signal 120 meters, and the square wave is falling apart.

Our ever changing industry. Want to buy my Tek WFM-90 (analog, no eye pattern or lighting) !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

James Brooks
on Mar 17, 2018 at 9:13:37 pm

You are right, as usual, about eye patterns and traditional scopes, but I think there is still a place for test and measurement. Eye patterns are replaced with network health monitors and wireshark. For the picture and sound, however, things are getting more complicated and harder to discern. New scopes then your Tek let you look at picture in 709 or 2020 to make sure the chromatic portion is what you expect. Newer waveform monitors support SDR, HDR (ST2084), HDR+, HLG and maybe even DolbyVision, allowing you to check you delieverables in terms of range but also to make sure the signal you think you are sending across youre network is what you think it is. Different loudness specs for different deliverables will also require checking. I think there will still be a place for scopes in the future, though probably as diminished fomr SDI to IP, as they were from analogue video to digital. ☺

J

http://www.drastic.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]