on Jan 16, 2018 at 9:47:16 pm

Hello,

I Have installed in a Sports Bar
(1) Cox Cable box to Monoprice HDMI to SDI
(8) DirecTv boxes:
(3) Using Monoprice Analog to HDMI into BMD micro HDMI to SDI converters
(1) Using BMD Analog composite to SDI converter
(4) Using China HDCP strip HDMI 1X2 Splitter into BMD micro HDMI to SDI
All going to a 20X20 Videohub running 6.4. Short runs 30 to 130ft into Monoprice SDI to HDMI converters to random brands and sizes of TVs.

Problem is random and ONLY the ESPN, FS1 and other sports channels on all 8 the DirecTvs ONLY start Blinking (Screen randomly goes black for .5 to 2 seconds) on the TVs. Even with all the outputs on one source the TVs will blink randomly and the display on the Videohub stays solid?

Note: when watching the affected channel accessing the Guide or Menu will also Blink. Change the channel and access the guide no blink.

I have tried Resetting DirecTv boxes, adding HDMI splitter, switching to Analog output, 720 and 1080, and every TV setting I can access.
Also customer claims that it will work perfectly for 1 -3 days after DirecTV reauthorizes the boxes?

How can HDCP or effect the analog outputs?

Thanks for your time.
Sven

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DirecTV to SDI problems
on Jan 17, 2018 at 10:43:13 pm

Monoprice HDMI to SDI converter (oh brother !) -

HDCP means High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It's supposed to not work.

You take your cox cable box and go into a Blackmagic or AJA Analog to SDI converter ("you mean I have to return all these converters ?") and that SDI output will go into your 20x20 videohub.

Why ? Because you are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE RECORDING OFF AIR. That's why they invented this standard.
This was done SPECIFICALLY to prevent you, your client, and others from stealing off air content. You are supposed to PAY THEM for recording (and then re selling) their content.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Sven Sivertson
on Jan 18, 2018 at 1:10:53 am

Bob,

I do have a BMD Analog component to SDI converter, do you think the AJA will work?

History:
First I added the HDMI spliter HDCP stripper. I know it strips the HDCP because it fixed the Roku box.
Next I tried inexpensive analog to HDMI. still blinking! Can't be HDCP its analog?
Then I installed the BMD Analog to SDI. Still FN Blinking!!! Not a quality issue?

Remember this only happens some days randomly and only on the ESPN, 1,2,3 and FS1.
Also some TVs are hardly watchable and others only have a slight picture "shake"
It can not be HDCP over analog.
Is there some countermeasure they are doing to the signal to prosperously disrupt SDI signal?
We are not recording only spiting 10 sources to 17 TVs
Thanks for your time

Professional just means you destroyed a lot of stuff

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Jan 24, 2018 at 8:58:21 pm

I would try a Decimator convertor/scaler. They regenerate a clean signal better than anything we have found.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Sven Sivertson
on Jan 18, 2018 at 1:21:37 am

Also the Cox Cable box works perfectly with Monoprice HDMI to SDI only.
It is the DirecTV boxes the are giving the problem.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 18, 2018 at 3:55:29 pm

take the Direct TV analog component YPbPr output (and analog audio) into a Blackmagic or AJA Analog to SDI converter. It will work perfectly fine.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Sven Sivertson
on Jan 19, 2018 at 5:49:55 am

Hey Bob,

Sorry for any confusion in my previous post.
I do have the BMD analog to SDI and it is just blinking away!!!

Called BMD today the were very nice about telling me that I'm not crazy and that Big networks do what they can to make any distribution as painful as possible. Possibly frame rate or time sync they are messing with. And they could not help with my problem.

I guess a component matrix and re-cabling is my only option?

Sven

Return to posts index

Oliver Eid
on Feb 17, 2018 at 9:56:55 pm

Hi Sven,

Were you able to troubleshoot this and/or did you replace this system with no issue?

Just reading over your posts, considering there was no flicker on the videohub monitor, did you ever try a different SDI to HDMI adapter on the receiver end?

I'm researching/consulting for a very similar use case and was leaning towards an SDI/videohub solution. I am surprised and confused to hear there could somehow be a protective measure sent through the analog output of the boxes...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]