FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting Audio To ATEM Television Studio HD (among other things)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Entwistle
Getting Audio To ATEM Television Studio HD (among other things)
on Oct 24, 2017 at 3:23:19 pm

Hi there,

Earlier this year was the first time I had ever produced a multi-camera livestream, something that was arranged at the last minute and I had to come up with some rather creative solutions that I'm hoping to avoid this time round so I have a few questions.

Firstly, my main task last year was to livestream press conferences.

My plan was to go from XLR to 3.5mm and plug that 3.5mm into one of the cameras and extract the audio from there but this was not possible, there was no audio coming out of the stream. (or maybe it is and I didn't know what I was doing? This was the first time I'd ever used a product like the ATEM Television Studio).

Luckily the venue had an XLR to USB external sound card (the ThinkPad I use does not have an internal sound card).

I then took the video feed from FFMPEG and streamed that VLC window through OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software Studio) while taking the audio from the XLR to USB Soundcard as a microphone and putting a 200ms delay on it.

I'd like to be able to control all A/V from the ATEM Software Control (I didn't have the budget to buy an actual switcher) so for press conferences I'd like to be able to go from XLR to either HDMI or SDI.

What would be the best way of going about this?

Secondly, this time round I will also be producing a series of group interviews which will not be going into the venues soundboard, I would like to be able to plug the lav mics I have into either the cameras or another product to then plug these into the ATEM Television Studio via HDMI or SDI. I used a BlueYeti plugged in via USB last time but this time round I will be on the venues showfloor so need more directional microphones.

I would more than likely have a maximum of 3 guests and 1 host at a time so I need 4 inputs (so even if you were able to solve the 3.5mm problem I mentioned above I still wouldn't have enough outputs per camera)

What is the best solution for this?

Is there some sort of converter I can look into to solve both issues?

I looked at the BlackMagic MiniConverter but that doesn't seem to take XLR or have 3.5mm input so I'm a bit confused on what I should do.

Thank you,
Joe Entwistle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]