FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange color blocking on BMPCC?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Milan
Strange color blocking on BMPCC?
on Jul 30, 2017 at 2:57:57 am

Not sure why this happens but on sharp edges from distances away there is a strange color compression and it ruins the shot.

Metabones speedbooster Nikon-BMPCC
SLR Magic Anamorphot-40 Compact
Nikon NIKKOR 18-55mm DX AF-S VR GII
Happens in RAW and ProRes, Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve, etc. What is it?

Also the 3 photos, with original full frame. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrrkRk3xDYla1p3U05kdmliQU0

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Strange color blocking on BMPCC?
on Jul 30, 2017 at 6:07:52 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jul 30, 2017 at 6:12:03 am

looks like chroma macroblocking. you can try in after effects. add adjustment layer transfer mode color with effect median blur. this will blur the chroma. you can luma matte with find edges to only blur the macro blocks. the high end video cameras use a low pass optical filter to block IR leak, moire, false color, etc. you can try to reduce sharpness, but anything shot at the sun probably won't work without buying rawlite.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 30, 2017 at 8:18:39 pm

On top of what Chris said about low pass filtering, you have two optical converters that are each adding a different chromatic aberration to the image. Maybe that's messing with the debayering? Do you have a sample before the anamorphic de-squeeze?

Return to posts index

Dean Milan
on Jul 31, 2017 at 6:50:21 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrrkRk3xDYlb21tTmNpNDBRMWs/view?usp=shari...

Google Drive makes the DNG look contrasted, so download the file and open it in Resolve or another program that doesn't add a color space that automatically on import.

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Aug 1, 2017 at 2:32:51 pm

Hi,

I took a look at the raw file. I think most of the problem is just the color aberration. Take a look at what I did in Photoshop. FILE
Just using the defringe reduced a lot of the color edges. I'm not sure how to do that in DaVinci. I suppose you could set up Photoshop to batch process.

Return to posts index

Dean Milan
on Aug 5, 2017 at 8:35:17 am

Thanks! I think I'll try to figure out how to do this in Resolve. I see other BMPCC footage and honestly mine just doesn't look as good. Maybe its just footage processing, grading, lens, I'm not sure. But when I compare footage its like its coming from a completely different camera. Not really sure. This is my most recent film shot with the configuration I mentioned earlier (nikon, metabones, anamorphot-40 compact)

I'm always looking for constructive criticize to improve my skills, so any comments are always appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]