FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I determine what files sizes will be using Ultrastudio mini

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Harrison
How can I determine what files sizes will be using Ultrastudio mini
on Jul 19, 2017 at 5:03:33 pm

I need to upgrade my recording setup and was directed to the Ultrastudio mini.
I'll be recording from JVC 600U camera (primarily in SD) to a MacBook Pro which I haven't purchased yet.
It would help tremendously if I could have an idea of how large the capture files might be.
Ultimately I want the files to be in MP4 format. Is anyone familiar with what options might be available should I move forward with this setup?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: How can I determine what files sizes will be using Ultrastudio mini
on Jul 21, 2017 at 8:30:21 pm

Which UltraStudio Mini are you referring to? The UltraStudio Mini Recorder? The UltraStudio HD Mini?

In either case, neither of those devices create files. They are capture cards that can be used by professional video software to ingest raw video signals. The software itself decides which codec, bitrate, etc; that it wants to capture and save to a file.

Return to posts index

Terry Harrison
on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:15:42 pm

Ultrastudio mini recorder and I get that it's a capture device, but I should have provided more detail.
I'd probably be using the media express software that's bundled within the Ultrastudio device and I noticed it says it will capture QuickTime uncompressed or DPX files which I'm not familiar with at all. If FCP was available it would add Prores and dvcpro as well.
I'm interested in capturing in SD. Compressed and uncompressed both might work but I just don't know how to tell how big the file sizes will be in any of the formats noted above.
Hope that's a bit more helpful

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jul 22, 2017 at 5:29:29 am

If you are capturing Uncompressed 10-bit Quicktime, the file size is approximately 37.5 MB/s assuming it's NTSC at 29.97 fps.

This is a handy calculator for your reference:

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/webapps/videocalc

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Terry Harrison
on Jul 22, 2017 at 10:44:44 am

Perfect, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>