FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Express alternative for Decklink (adjustable bitrates)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frazer Ash
Media Express alternative for Decklink (adjustable bitrates)
on Nov 30, 2016 at 12:38:59 pm

Hi all!

Is anyone aware of any capture software, compatible with the BM Decklink Studio card, with which the capture bitrate can be specified, rather than depending on a selected codec? Generally just using ProRes or DNxHD is fine for me, because I can simply compress the files later if need be, but I've got a large job coming up that won't allow me the time to do this, so I need to find a way of capturing at about 5mbps out the gate.

I remember seeing online somewhere that Premiere could do this (although that was back with CS4/5, at which time it seemed to only accept feeds from FireWire). Anyone know if this is the case? Or are there any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give. Greatly appreciated.

F

Return to posts index

Ian Morrish
Re: Media Express alternative for Decklink (adjustable bitrates)
on Dec 12, 2016 at 6:11:19 am

MXPTiny software can capture any bit rate in H.264 but only with BMD H.264 Pro Recorder or TVS.
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/record-h-264-from-blackmagic-te...
I suspect because of the raw data rate of the DeckLink API you would need a lot of processing power to encode with compression to meet the bit rate you want to select.
This is good for archiving or streaming content but no linear editing which the codecs you mention are designed for and is why they have fixed bit rates.

Regards,
Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]