FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Video Hub reliability

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Bernard
Blackmagic Video Hub reliability
on Nov 21, 2016 at 10:11:00 pm

I am looking for a large (72to 128) video router for a new facility and I am curious about the Universal Video Hub. Although the price point and features are very appealing, I am a little nervous about the build quality though. One of the Hyperdeck Studio Pros that I bought died right after the warranty expired. Obviously a problem like this could bring our whole facility down if it were the central hub. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with the long term reliability of this this product family?

Thanks,

-Barry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Blackmagic Video Hub reliability
on Nov 24, 2016 at 8:35:16 pm

currently, unless you are buying the Universal Videohub, the largest videohub is the 40x40. When you install a router in a facility, you just don't install a router - you install PATCH BAYS along with the router. Yes - if you buy Evertz, Miranda, Utah Scientific, Grass Valley - or AJA KUMO 64x64 or Blackmagic - you install PATCH BAYS in case of failure.

With that said, while I have had dead crosspoints on Videohubs, I have never had a Videohub completely fail on me.
The price is so aggressive, why don't you buy TWO, which is cheaper than any single router from another manufacturer.
Routers, including brands I have not mentioned - like Pesa, have been incredibly reliable in recent years.
Like I said, I have personally NEVER installed the Universal Videohub, which is 72 or 288 crosspoint, so I cannot attest to the reliability of these, but I am sure that it's similar to the regular 40x40, which I have not seen a failure on. And the older 72x144, which they no longer make - I have never had one fail.

So when your HyperDeck failed, what did you replace it with - an AJA Ki Pro, an Atomos ? I bet you a nickel that you did not buy a CineDeck, because you would never even consider spending $16,000 for one.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Barry Bernard
on Nov 25, 2016 at 5:58:38 pm

Thanks for the response Bob, much appreciated.

Yes, it's the Universal Video Hub I was considering. I agree with you about the patch bay along with the router, this is definitely part of the plan. As the Universal Video Hub is a modular design, it seems like parts could be replaced if they went bad.

Working in the unique category of higher education, sometimes there is a good budget to renovate, but afterwards funding sometimes cannot be always assured to replace the pieces and parts. So, it can be a good idea to try to get the most robust reliable equipment, especially for something as important as a central video router. It also can be hard to get finance folks to buy 2 of something! So yeah, the price point and features look great but I worry about the long term gotcha. We have an old Pesa analog router and it is been a workhorse for a very long time. Unfortunately it has outlived it's era of usefulness!

For the reason described above, I did not replace the Hyperdeck Pro at all when it failed. Not enough of an urgent need to justify forking over the bucks to replace it. Not that it wouldn't be useful to have it still! We have 2 of them. It seems like area where the power supply is was much hotter in the failed one than on the one that still works. As things get more compact and less expensive the basic laws of electricity are still in effect as evidenced by exploding laptops and phones sometimes!

Thanks again,

-Barry

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Dec 3, 2016 at 8:07:08 am

I know of a large media company in the US that owns a bunch of broadcast stations that installs Blackmagic routers in their facilities. (Don't work for them, don't know if I can mention names) I had the opportunity to ask their directing of engineering about them. They have had failures, but they were cheap and easy to fix, but nothing catastrophic.

http://scottgfx.com

Return to posts index

Barry Bernard
on Dec 7, 2016 at 8:31:10 pm

Scott,

Thanks for the information. much appreciated!

-Barry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]