FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor to PC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herbert Leung
BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor to PC
on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:10:30 pm

Hi

I recently switched over to a PC and I want to use my UltraStudio Mini Monitor to hook up to my reference monitor for color grading

The PC Spec:

Asus X99 Deluxe ii
Graphic Card Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Edition
Thunderbolt EX 3 PCI card
Lots of USB 3.0 and USB 3.1
No Thunderbolt 2.0 port

Since BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor can only be powered by Thunderbolt 2.0 cable, I was searching on Amazon and found an Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor by Cable Matters Any success stories using such adaptor?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0D7QU0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&...

Anyone with a PC who's successfully using the UltraStudio Mini Monitor? Are you also using the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 PCI card with UltraStudio Mini Monitor?Anything I need to know when installing the UltraStudio Mini Monitor in a PC?

Return to posts index

Matthieu Vanier
Re: BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor to PC
on May 17, 2017 at 9:40:16 pm

Hi Herbert,

Did you have any luck with an adaptor?
I'm thinking of doing the same thing but can't find information on the subject.

Thanks

Matthieu

Return to posts index

Herbert Leung
Re: BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor to PC
on May 18, 2017 at 2:38:58 am

Yes I did. I'm connecting my Ultra Studio Mini Monitor to a Asus Deluxe X99 ii motherboard that comes with a Thunderbolt 3.0 PCI card. The onboard Thunderbolt 2.0 looks alike is only a display port that connects to your graphic card. Since my Ultra Studio Mini only has a Thunderbolt 2.0, I had to purchase a thunderbolt 2.0 to 3.0 adaptor to connect to my Thunderbolt 3.0- PCI card. I bought mine from cable matters. It's not cheap. When all of the physical connection is done, if you're running Window 10, you need to "Disable driver signature enforcement" under the Advanced Options / Startup Settings otherwise your Ultra Studio Mini won't work because it will be blocked by Window during startup.

Since I bought my Ultra Studio Mini Monitor before I got a PC, I had to go through the trouble from purchasing an expensive adaptor to use the Thunderbolt 2.0. I will advise you get the Ultra Studio HD mini that runs by Thunderbolt 3 or just get a DeckLink PCI card from BlackMagic if you're only using PC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]