FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio mini monitor unusable in fcpx

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Sanders
Ultrastudio mini monitor unusable in fcpx
on Feb 16, 2016 at 10:54:50 am

I'm not sure if this has been adressed in another topic, but here is my problem.
I'm working on episodical drama in fcpx. For that I use prores HQ footage straight from an Alexa. This footage has been synced with multichannel audio. 4, 6, sometimes 8 tracks.
I have a top of the line retina 5K imac, 4gz, 32 gb ram, AMD RADEON R9 4gb.
My footage is on some G-raids.
Now, when the av-output is turned off, I can edit just fine.
But when I turn it on and the video signal is send via a BM mini monitor, I drop frames all the time. I have tried all kinds of versions of desktop video and I have tried 2 different OS versions (Yosemity and El Capitan). The result are always the same.
Do I have to conclude that this mini monitor is just not ment to be used with fcpx for the purpose of cutting fast and fluently? Or is there still something I might have overlooked?
Many thanks in advance,

Steven Sanders

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
Re: Ultrastudio mini monitor unusable in fcpx
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:41:12 am

exact same problem here on a Mac Pro. with the mini activated editing is horrible. for me it´s unusable. I mostly turn it off.
I have posted this a couple of times in this forum with zero feedback from BM.

Return to posts index

Rick Lavon
on Feb 29, 2016 at 10:42:59 pm

Hi-

I too am having lots of crashes with the mini-monitor. Running 10.2.3 and now am getting constant crashes of the DecklinkfcpxCMIO plugin. Do you think the AJA T-Tap is any better?

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Mar 1, 2016 at 4:16:02 am

Am having a lot of crashes using the Ultrastudio Express with FCPX. If I turn off the AV output, it's fine. So, i think it is the drivers causing the issue. Hope BM address this issue soon.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Steven Sanders
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:22:11 am

Thanks for the reply, everyone.
First of all, I think BM should at least aknowledge the problem, but from what I've learned so far, support is not equaly spread across all of their product lines. It could be a fcpx problem as well. Unfortunately I can't really say, because I have not been able to test the T-tap. My personal guess is that the av-output function in fcpx does limit the software's capabilities. Why else does the software advise you to maybe turn off av-output if frames are being dropped?
That's why I returned to a method that really works best with fcpx: viewer on second display.
Offcourse, for that you need to output through the tunderbolt-port or the display port. Fortunately my broadcast monitor has a DVI input. So I bought myself a thunderbolt-to-DVI thingy and a DVI cable, and voilà. Works like a charm. And I can still activate the LUT's that I uploaded to the monitor, to view my footage in a specific look.
I don't know if it's color critical, but for color correction I use Davinci anyway, and the mini-monitor works fine with Davinci, so.
I hope this has been helpful.

StvN

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Mar 1, 2016 at 2:47:42 pm

Ultrastudio 3D does the same.

Hit play wait... wait... stutter... RT.

AV off... like butter.

Resolve is fine. Maybe a driver thing.. maybe a thunderbolt delay thing.

ie a thunderbolt raid takes WAY longer to get upto speed than a SAS PCIE connected raid.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Apr 9, 2016 at 5:48:08 pm

Same issue here with fcpx. However did a job last week in PP and had NO playback issues using the same hardware. Love using X but there is nothing pro about this playback issue especially when working with client in the room

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]