Why PCI decklink mini monitor?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Orr
Why PCI decklink mini monitor?
on Feb 15, 2016 at 9:41:59 am

Hey folks,

please allow me an innocent question:
I am about to buy an HP Z27x as a reference monitor. It can generate and store its calibration by itself.
Now why would I need a Video card like decklink mini monitor given the situation that my graphics card provides three ports which would be enough for my current setup?
Are there any technical differences between the two signals coming from my graphics card or a possible decklink mini monitor card?

Best B.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Why PCI decklink mini monitor?
on Feb 17, 2016 at 12:23:49 am

Yes, there's a big difference between the signal coming from the graphics card and one from a video IO card. One is a computer signal, and the other is a broadcast TV style signal. Color space is different, for one. Another, computer signals don't do interlacing well, while the broadcast signal does. So if you edit an interlaced source, you'll need that. But then your display ALSO needs to be able to deal with the proper color space and interlacing, and few computer displays do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Orr
Re: Why PCI decklink mini monitor?
on Feb 22, 2016 at 2:47:04 pm

Thanks, Shane!
I understand.
Am I right that I can use the Monitor via decklink only through the programs I will use it with and not through the finder? So it would be exclusively usable for reference purposes?
Thanks again,
best B.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]