Sean Thomas
DeckLink Studio 2 - BetaCam SP to HD workflow
on Dec 21, 2015 at 11:54:28 pm

SYSTEM
OS X 10.6.8
Desktop Video 9.5.2
FCP 7 / FCP X
Adobe Suite 5.5

I need to convert BetaSP 4:3 SD to 16:9 pilar-box HD and would prefer 29.97p. I have already digitized all of my tapes and am slowly converting to the SD files via Compressor with good quality results. But at 3x real time speed. So a 30 min. tape is taking 1.5 hrs to convert.

Would real-time via the Decklink yield a better result quality wise? I seem to thik it will only convert to 59.94i if I go this route. Is there a pro/con to 30p vs. 59.94i? My current Desktop Video 9.5.2 does not allow pillar box - do the newer versions do this via component input? It will only convert 16:9 Anamorphic.

What is the highest OS X and Desktop Video you can run FCP 7 on? Or are most guys doing dual boot drives?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DeckLink Studio 2 - BetaCam SP to HD workflow
on Dec 23, 2015 at 9:43:36 am

Compressor will do a better job. The earlier Decklink cards don't do hardware upconvert, like the AJA ones do, so it's software only. And Compressor, at this stage, is better.

[Sean Thomas] " Is there a pro/con to 30p vs. 59.94i?"

Deinterlacing reduces the resolution by half. You are taking one field and having it duplicate to the other. Whereas 59.94i is the exact frame rate of the originals, which are also interlaced. You keep both fields, and all the resolution.

Not sure about the pillar on the earlier cards and software. You sure it's not an option?

FCP 7 works on 10.9 and 10.10...some even use it on 10.11. But Compressor stops working at 10.9..as does Motion.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
Re: DeckLink Studio 2 - BetaCam SP to HD workflow
on Dec 23, 2015 at 4:56:43 pm

Thanks Shane.

I did find out that my DeckLink Studio 2 card will do realtime uprez, but with Desktop Video 9.52, there is no pillar box option so it is stretching my 4:3 to fill 16:9. And of course you must match frame rate of SD29.97 to HD 59.94 to digitize. Without that, Media Express won't see your input source.

I did a quick test with the realtime uprez file, a AE uprez, and yes Compressor had the best quality so I went that rout. It just took 24hrs to render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]