FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dedicated hardware to produce H264 files? Need some advice please.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Houle
Dedicated hardware to produce H264 files? Need some advice please.
on Dec 17, 2015 at 11:51:30 pm

Hello folks!

Not sure which product? Need some guidance please.

I currently transfer SD footage for clients (VHS, VHS-C, camcorder & film reels etc..)
In terms of HD footage, there's only been a handful of times I've transferred HD footage, but anything I buy can handle HD as well.

It's ingested using a Canopus(Grass Valley) ADVC-300.

I edit for colour correction and audio issues then output a base archive/editing file in ProRes or DV as almost every tape needs a little bit of help! :)

Those files are using for 2 purposes:

1. given to clients on an external hard drive so they can archive themselves for the future
2. are then either converted for DVD or for H.264 using my Mac Pro, project dependent.

At times, I will use a Matrox CompressHD card in my 2010 Mac Pro, but it is 1 finicky piece of hardware. The results are great, but I'm constantly updating the firmware based on OS releases. It seems the card can never stay consistent across updates. So I'm wasting time using it or fighting to keep it working.

When it works, the results are great. I'm also looking at the Matrox MXO2, but given the issues with the CompressHD, I'm leery about buying one http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini_max/

PLUS, I might be selling that Mac and given the new Mac Pro doesn't have card inputs, I need a solution which will work with my 2013 Mac Pro.

Ultimately, I'd like to have a dedicated encoding box - something from which I could take those final files and point to the box and have it convert the files to H264 files. The Mac Pro is a 12 core machine and the files do come out nice so maybe I don't need something new?

I see the H.264 Pro Recorder can encode, but it seems to be on the fly while ingesting footage.
Is there a way for me to output to this box? Time is money so anything I can do to speed this part of the production up, would be beneficial.

The Shuttle extremes look interesting, but it looks like their job is for ingestion of footage and not encoding?

Any help/suggestions would be great!

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Dedicated hardware to produce H264 files? Need some advice please.
on Dec 19, 2015 at 6:51:07 pm

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/h264prorecorder

if you want hardware

for software h.264 encoding - Proxy Mill by Imagine Products.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Brian Houle
on Dec 19, 2015 at 7:00:31 pm

Thanks Bob.

Do you know if I'm able to output from my Mac Pro back to this device? I know it does live encoding, but I need to output files to it after editing.

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Paul Buchan
on Jan 8, 2016 at 1:07:59 pm

No you can not output from your Mac to this device without another IO card in the mix. It simply does live encoding.

-Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]