<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Hughes
Cinema Camera RAW grain
on Mar 16, 2015 at 11:59:27 pm

EF Black Magic Cinema Camera
Tokima 11-16 F2.8
Available bedroom lighting.

Hi there,

I have no business with this camera so I'm hoping the problem is in my lack of skill here, I never shoot RAW because of how fickle is seems - however, not that i'm playing around I'm pretty sure I've been ripped off - that the camera I purchased is just wrong - because getting rid if brutal grain is completely impossible in lower light situations.

Here is a sample of the problem, and the only way to cut back on it is to shoot at 200 ISO and bring it back up from super dark in post, yet it's still ugly.

Please tell me there is something fundamentally wrong with my process and not the camera itself. The viewfinder reflects what my prores shots turn out to look like, but RAW is a complete gamble.

http://i.imgur.com/DE6wfYS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bRMBZHv.jpg

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Cinema Camera RAW grain
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:36:21 pm

How did you determine "proper" exposure when the shot was made?
It's the nature of RAW capture to look, in the viewfinder, as if the scene is being overexposed, washed out. If you try to correct that "look" by reducing the exposure, you'll end up with an underexposed shot that has tons of noise when you try to bring the exposure back up, in post.

Determining proper exposure for RAW relies much more heavily on tools like a histogram or zebra; and, less on WYSIWYG.

Return to posts index

Charlie Hughes
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:39:15 pm

Of course, however there aren't that many settings with the camera.

When you exhaust all ISO settings and Fstops, it would appear there is nothing that will reduce the grain sufficiently.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:18:41 am

Ok so which camera, which raw codec, which debayer.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]