FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does the Pro Res from a Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle look worse than the more compressed footage from my Canon C300?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Finkel
Why does the Pro Res from a Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle look worse than the more compressed footage from my Canon C300?
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:28:13 am

800% still frame comparison http://imgur.com/a/pSTkS#0 Note the lips, shoulder, and overall noise in the images.

I had a HyperDeck Shuttle hooked up via HD-SDI to my Canon C300. Shouldn't the less compressed Pro Res footage look better than the 50mbps Canon XF footage from the C300? Is there some in-camera post processing making the image look better?

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
Re: Why does the Pro Res from a Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle look worse than the more compressed footage from my Canon C300?
on Feb 20, 2015 at 9:42:55 am

This is just a guess, but maybe it'll help.

On my C100, if you don't force Adobe Premiere to interpret the footage as progressive, then you get aliasing artifacts that look a lot like this. Once you do an Interpret Footage in Premiere, it looks good.

Perhaps there's a similar situation with the output of the HDSDI of the camera -- that the Hyperdeck Shuttle is misinterpreting it?

How does Premiere see the Hyperdeck footage -- progressive or interlaced? If Interlaced, if you force it to be interpreted as Progressive, does that clean it up? Or, can you force the Hyperdeck shuttle to interpret the incoming signal as progressive?

Return to posts index

Ben Finkel
Re: Why does the Pro Res from a Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle look worse than the more compressed footage from my Canon C300?
on Feb 20, 2015 at 1:04:31 pm

You hit the nail on the head! Premiere and After Effects saw the Pro Res footage as Upper Field First. I changed it to No Fields (Progressive Scan) and although the general noise is still there, the lips and the edge of the shoulder look much better. Thanks!

New Comparison
http://imgur.com/a/9UdEz#0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]