FORUMS: list search recent posts

BM Design Intensity card, '07 Quad-Core Mac Pro compatibility

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine Ceigersmidt
BM Design Intensity card, '07 Quad-Core Mac Pro compatibility
on Feb 17, 2015 at 3:57:12 am
Last Edited By Catherine Ceigersmidt on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:20:43 am

I am currently trying to determine what HDMI card would be best to swap with my current NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card (single-link DVI and dual-link DVI) in my [dinosoaur] Quad-core Mac Pro circa 2007. Just acquired a DSLR (Canon Rebel T5i) and want to find the best way to transfer the HD 1080p video files from the memory card to my Mac that did not come equipped with an HDMI port. Is the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro compatible with my Mac and is it the best option out there?

Set-up:
FCP Studio 2, v. 6.06
Mac Dual Core Xeon
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
8 GB Memory, 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Best,

Cathy Ceigersmidt
Mary Productions LLC

Return to posts index

Jim Sustacek
Re: BM Design Intensity card, '07 Quad-Core Mac Pro compatibility
on Feb 17, 2015 at 2:13:45 pm

It should work. You just need to use old drivers -- Desktop Video 9.5.3 was the last version that was Snow Leopard (10.6.8) compatible.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

Return to posts index

Catherine Ceigersmidt
Re: BM Design Intensity card, \'07 Quad-Core Mac Pro compatibility
on Feb 17, 2015 at 2:43:24 pm

Thanks! So whenever I get around to updating my OS, it's just a matter of downloading the appropriate driver update? Is swapping the cards pretty simple, like comparable to installing more memory or an internal hard drive? Anything I should be aware of that may not be covered in the instructions? I did see some people discussing in a post on the COW a few weeks ago regarding hardware install issues in a PC.

Cathy Ceigersmidt
Mary Productions LLC

Return to posts index

Jim Sustacek
Re: BM Design Intensity card, \'07 Quad-Core Mac Pro compatibility
on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:06:59 pm

I've never really had any issues with the installation. Should just be able to pop in the card, boot up the machine, then install the drivers. The trickiest part might be getting the input format setting correct (i.e. 1080p50, 720p60, etc.), but we had a lot of different input sources -- if you are just using one camera, that should be straightforward too.

I think the 2007 Mac Pro can get upgraded to Lion if you want, and then you could use the Desktop Video 9.8 drivers.

Return to posts index

Catherine Ceigersmidt
on Feb 18, 2015 at 2:49:28 pm

Good to hear -- I was about to upgrade to Mountain Lion but then I believe I would have to upgrade FCP6 to FCPX and consequently I would probably have to upgrade my RAM and memory, and all of that at once is not financially feasible right now. Thanks a bunch for the advice!

Cathy Ceigersmidt
Mary Productions LLC

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 18, 2015 at 3:58:27 pm

Catherine, I'm a bit confused with your post. "I am currently trying to determine what HDMI card would be best to swap with my current NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card"
The Intensity Pro is not a graphics card, it's a video monitoring card and can not be considered as a substitute for your Nvidia card, you would need both.

As to transferring the footage from your camera to your computer, what is wrong with plugging the camera's SD card into the computer?

Return to posts index

Catherine Ceigersmidt
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:27:55 pm

Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for the clarification! My Mac Pro tower doesn't have an SD card slot and although my Dell monitor does, I'm not sure it would read an SDHC card...I bought the monitor in '07 before SDHCs had been introduced. I actually haven't tried getting the monitor slot to read the SDHC card because I just acquired the DSLR this week and haven't had a chance to shoot anything to test it. Do you think it will read it?

I should have also mentioned that I have a Canon XH-G1 camera that has a full HDMI output and I'm trying to determine the best way to extend its life so I can shoot in 1080p HD using a ProRes recorder like the Atomos Ninja 2. The Ninja uses CFast Cards so I'm assuming that would require an HDMI port on my Mac to transfer the files via an HDMI cable? I had been using mini DV tapes since I bought the XH-G1 8 years ago but obviously it's past time for me to convert to memory cards. I realize my issue has gone beyond the realm of this forum so perhaps I should pop over to the Canon cameras forum or maybe the workflow forum for a solution?

Best,

Cathy Ceigersmidt
Mary Productions LLC

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:30:21 pm

All you need for your Mac is a $5 USB card reader. Insert your SD card then plug the USB adapter into the Mac. I've not worked with Canon files but it's usually best practice to copy the whole card file structure to your media drive, not just the clips. Afterwards the clips will need to be converted to ProRes in order for FCP to be able to work with them. You'll need to do your own research into which third party conversion tool you need for that particular camera file format.

Return to posts index

Catherine Ceigersmidt
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:36:56 pm

But wouldn't tranferring HD video files via USB take forever?

Cathy Ceigersmidt
Mary Productions LLC

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 18, 2015 at 8:45:15 pm

No, I do it all the time. I suggest you get a card reader and try it yourself. If you are using SDXC cards then you need a compatible reader, otherwise for SDHC any good quality reader will do.

Return to posts index

Catherine Ceigersmidt
on Feb 18, 2015 at 10:03:40 pm

You are correct -- I had a long chat with a B&H representative and figured out everything I need and I've settled on a multi-card reader that can handle both SDHC and CFast cards, no need for the HDMI editing card. Thanks again Roger!

Cathy Ceigersmidt
Mary Productions LLC

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 18, 2015 at 10:57:42 pm

You're welcome. Glad you got it figured out. :o)

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 19, 2015 at 1:14:24 am

You might find some useful information in the video tutorial posted by Shane Ross. You can find it here:
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]