FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't capture computer game play on DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Doering
Can't capture computer game play on DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
on Jan 31, 2015 at 4:29:36 am

Need assistance with settings? Using an HDMI cable connection from main computer graphics card to HDMI input on the DeckLink. Main computer sees the BlackMagic card when extending the displays, but I'm not getting any picture in the Media Express window when hitting the Capture tab.

Return to posts index

Laurie Doering
Re: Can't capture computer game play on DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
on Jan 31, 2015 at 2:16:41 pm

Just ran the Disc Speed Test and I only get green checkmarks for PAL and NTSC on the "will it work" section!
I am using a fairly new computer. Do I need to buy a faster drive?

Return to posts index

Laurie Doering
on Jan 31, 2015 at 9:53:50 pm

Getting closer! I have the capture window working and seeing exactly what is on the screen of the main computer.
Unfortunately, the video being captured is bright pink and blue. Will try and find correct color settings.

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Feb 2, 2015 at 7:59:54 pm

Blackmagic cards were not designed to capture from computer sources, only cameras, vcr's and video switchers. Computer signals are very different from TV signals.

However most computers can be configured to mimic a TV type signal. In this case your computer is outputing RGB color, but a television signal is supposed to be in YCbCr color. See if your graphics card has a setting to change the output color format.

As for the disk speed test, those number are for recording uncompressed video, which hardly anyone does unless you're making a Hollywood grade film set for theatrical release. Realistically you only need 15-25 MB/s for ProRes or MJPEG

Return to posts index

Laurie Doering
on Feb 2, 2015 at 10:26:45 pm

Thanks!
The output to a TV works fine. The HDMI connector on the graphics card outputs both video and audio from the PC to a high-definition television. So I am thinking, a setting somewhere is not right.

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Feb 2, 2015 at 10:59:44 pm

TV's support both computer and television signals, however video capture cards only support TV style signals. Look for a color setting in your advanced display preferences to switch to YCbCr color instead of RGB

Return to posts index

Laurie Doering
on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:43:01 pm
Last Edited By Laurie Doering on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:43:33 pm

My GTX980 graphics card should have an option to select YCrCb in the digital color format box when connected via the HDMI port. For some reason, it does not. I'm posting on the GeForce NVidia forum trying to find an answer.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/808471/geforce-900-series/no-ycrcb...

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Mar 3, 2015 at 3:45:23 am

How did you get your capture window operational again? See my reply to your other post--I can't get input in my log and capture on my UltraStudio 4K even though it's preview and output show a signal, this is even when the input is a YUV straight out of an Atomos Ninja 2 with a new 1.4 HDMI cable which works going into a DeckLink Extreme 3D.

Return to posts index

Laurie Doering
on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:57:46 pm

Not yet. Still working with the store where I purchased the Decklink 4K. He is very helpful and knowledgeable and contacts BlackMagic support.
I will likely try a DVI to SDI signal converter.
His latest reply to me: "Most products in the market are only handling DVI to HDSDI at the moment. I assume if you take the DVI output of max 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz, down convert it to 1080p with the DVI Extender, and connect that to your card, the card will upscale. I am confirming this with Blackmagic support."

Will report back with any progress.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Mar 3, 2015 at 6:58:43 pm

I spoke with Sean from BMD tech support and he walked me through this. I've been able to output a 1080p60 signal from my PC's GPU set to YUV and have no issues capturing to a BMD Extreme 3D card and an AJA Kona LHi. But when I try to input the YUV signal from my GPU it's not exporting the exact type of broadcast YUV signal required by the Ultrastudio 4K--it must be more stringent on the input signal than the other cards. Sean had suggested using an HDMI to SDI converter to force it to broadcast spec YUV which is what I will do (actually I'm going to use a Terranex 2D). If you use a different brand of HDMI to SDI converter, make sure that it supports a Level B 3G HD-SDI signal since that is what Blackmagic hardware requires.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]