FORUMS: list search recent posts

Terranex 2D vs. Ultrastudio 4K

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Terranex 2D vs. Ultrastudio 4K
on Jan 27, 2015 at 3:33:05 am

I'm currently using an Ultrastudio 4K for capture and monitoring with my 2013 Mac Pro. I'm planning on purchasing a couple of Teranex 2Ds for standards conversion primarily for converting 1080/60p signals out from PC graphics cards to be converted to 1080/30p for capture with mobile units which don't support 1080/60p (namely the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 and the Atmos Ninja 2).

I didn't realize until reading the specs that the Teranex includes a Thunderbolt connection. It appears that in addition to the standards conversion functionality plus the UltraScope software, the Teranex 2D can also essentially do everything that the Ultrastudio 4K does for a difference in price of only $400 over the Ultrastudio 4K. Is this correct?

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: Terranex 2D vs. Ultrastudio 4K
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:01:36 pm
Last Edited By Chad Pearson on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:02:39 pm

Not exactly. The Teranex 2D does not support 4K resolutions, and cannot output separate key+fill signals for upstream/downstream key applications used in live broadcasts.

Also, the Hyperdeck Studio Pro also has a thunderbolt connection so it can capture to computer while recording to disk at the same time.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Mar 3, 2015 at 3:35:46 am

Thanks, Chad. Does the 2K retain audio embedding when the input is HDMI and the output is HD-SDI?

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Mar 3, 2015 at 9:01:59 pm

Yes, in both cases the input audio will always be embedded in every (digital) output. The Teranex lets you choose whether you want to use the incoming HDMI/SDI embedded audio, or the XLR/RCA audio inputs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]