FORUMS: list search recent posts

GUI Monitoring question + Color Workflow

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrien Oneiga
GUI Monitoring question + Color Workflow
on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:01:52 am

Hi All, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, but since i'm using BM gear i thought i'd try here.

My question relates to setting up a 10bit environment with OSX. yes, i know the gist, and my situation is as follows:

I run a Mac Pro 2013 with Ultrastudio Express, and because of the limited space between the two speakers (we also have the room set up for mixing audio) it would be really difficult to fit both a GUI monitor and a color accurate one side by side.

Hence, i thought about simply getting a Dreamcolor z27x, but as of now i don't think it's possible to monitor my GUI through the Ultrastudio, which I don't understand why..

so anyway, i would like 10 bit monitoring, i would love to know if it's possible to set up the z27x with two inputs from the Mac, so i could switch between GUI view for most daily use / editing, and for finishing / mastering then switching to the input of the BMUE. I have a cintiq mounted on the side of the desk i can use ofr GUI as well for this case, but it's awkward to use it as my main monitor because it's not centered.

does that seem like a decent setup? at some point i would love to set up a second room once the cash flow there..

Media Architect - Skyway Design Studios

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: GUI Monitoring question + Color Workflow
on Jan 22, 2015 at 2:42:06 pm

I dont believe there is anyway of doing 10bit right out of the nMP.
Only through external devices such as UltraStudio4K which Im about to find out today with a demo Sony PVM X300.
Crossing fingers.
It will be tested via Avid, FCPX, Premiere and Resolve.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 22, 2015 at 7:37:13 pm
Last Edited By Bill Ravens on Jan 22, 2015 at 7:39:15 pm

I' doing exactly as you are planning. GUI Video input comes via Display Port from the computer video output. Color monitoring comes from a BMD mini-monitor/Thunderbolt feeding a Gefen converter to generate the RGB input to HDMI. However, as it's been posted, right now, you can't get 10-bit from your video card. My Dreamcolor is the older model, so, in addition to 10-bit, the Dreamcolor won't run the expanded color space engine unless I feed it an RGB signal. Perhaps the newer Dreamcolors don't have this restriction. Another nuance to the setup is that my Dreamcolor has no internal audio processing, so, I have an audio disembedder to provide an analog audio signal picked off the HDSDI signal.

Return to posts index

Adrien Oneiga
on Jan 22, 2015 at 7:53:33 pm

Basically my issue is desk space in between my audio monitors, which i cant change (34" space)

For GUI on a daily basis it makes sense to have it centered, and also since i only have limited space i really only have room for one new screen, so thats why i was wondering about using an x27 with TWO inputs, so that i can alternate between 8 bit GUI view for daily use, and for color crucial work i can switch to input 2 (blackmagic), and instead pull up the gui on my sidemounted cintiq.

Alternatively im curious if theres any way to send the GUI trough the ultrastudio which would greatly open up my monitor options.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 23, 2015 at 1:04:22 pm
Last Edited By Bill Ravens on Jan 23, 2015 at 2:18:02 pm

In a word, "no". Blackmagic would need to write drivers to allow a direct connection to each and every GUI enabled application, in this case for Windows/Mac desktop. I've wished, for a long time, that at least BMD could write drivers to enable Quicktime playback on a color critical monitor, but, they haven't done that. As a side note, AJA has an application called "Control Room" that will playback media thru their IO4K hardware to an external monitor. Sadly, BMD will not write drivers for DaVinci Resolve and AJA.

Return to posts index

Adrien Oneiga
on Apr 9, 2015 at 7:32:24 am

so you mean the BMD doesn't output 10bit?
that's not what i'm aware of ..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]