FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic STUDIO Camera need to retrofit Fujinon 18x 7.6 HD B4 Mount lenses

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vickie hurst
Black Magic STUDIO Camera need to retrofit Fujinon 18x 7.6 HD B4 Mount lenses
on Jan 8, 2015 at 1:54:12 pm

I have been looking at all types of forums, blogs and posts and cannot find much assistance on retrofitting the BMD STUDIO 4K camera with HD B4 mount lenses. I have seen a number of articles about 2X extenders for the Pocket and Cine. Unfortunately nothing on fitting those lenses on the BMD studio camera. Here is our issue. We are moving to a new campus that has fiber backbone and drops all over campus. The cost of retro fitting our current HD system is about $20,000 per camera with power wafers and converters. We were vetting the idea of an entire BM studio configuration from beginning to end but it is only financially viable if we take our glass/servo lenses into the new configuration. We would love to get into 4K for the cost of fitting our current set up for fiber, but not at the risk of loosing picture quality. Is anyone working with B4 glass on the 4K BMD STUDIO cam or tested it for a short throw situations so we can still get wide angle motorized shots in a closed room environment?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some useful insight.

Vickie Hurst

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: Black Magic STUDIO Camera need to retrofit Fujinon 18x 7.6 HD B4 Mount lenses
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:44:26 am

Any active B4 to MFT lense adapter will work, the Pocket cinema camera and the Studio camera both have the same lense mount. There's a couple adapters on B&H for 6-pin and 12-pin powered lenses which are supposed to adapt and provide power to the zoom controller, but I don't think they are truly "active" (ie no remote iris via the ATEM CCU controls).

Return to posts index

vickie hurst
Re: Black Magic STUDIO Camera need to retrofit Fujinon 18x 7.6 HD B4 Mount lenses
on Jan 9, 2015 at 12:18:23 pm

Thanks Chad,
If you know of any other issues like the CCU control issues please feel free to add that to the items I need to research. I was aware of the adapters for the mounts and the power power cable but I was wondering if anyone had used this configuration in a studio yet and what were the ramifications on the ability to get a wide shot as well as any known light and clarity issues. I am also wondering exactly how well they are 'powered' as you mentioned.

Vickie

Vickie Hurst

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 12, 2015 at 6:38:37 pm

Vickie, this may be of interest:

http://www.moviemachine.tv/video/using-b4-lenses-on-the-blackmagic-studio-c...

Return to posts index

vickie hurst
on Jan 12, 2015 at 7:11:56 pm

Roger,
This is a WONDERFUL link. Thank you so much. It answers a lot of our questions for our team and gives us specs on light loss and showing that the vignette will not be an issue. Do you happen to know how the lens is being powered? A D-tap cable to the camera battery or a second battery? Your resourcefulness is appreciated.

Vickie Hurst

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 12, 2015 at 7:24:57 pm

Sorry, I have no idea. This video was posted only this week by Rick Young. it might be an idea to email him for more info. I do have his address but it might not be polite for me to post it here. I think it's on the website. Post back if you have no luck.

Return to posts index

vickie hurst
on Jan 12, 2015 at 7:39:17 pm

Thank you Roger. I will try and find him and I certainly understand not giving out his address. I appreciate the name for follow through.

Vickie Hurst

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]