FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM 1 M/E Recording/Editing Q's

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Klein
ATEM 1 M/E Recording/Editing Q's
on Nov 25, 2014 at 1:56:56 pm

Hi folks,
Longtime reader, newly registered (guess my old one got lost in the ether).
We have an ATEM 1 M/E for mixing/recording our various church events and services and I'm working towards updating things to HD, getting a better NLE, etc. Here's our setup currently:

-Win7 HP Z400 w/8GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 and a 1TB 7200RPM recording drive (Speed test shows it will handle up to, but not including, 1080i: internalsatadiskspeedtest.png)
-Decklink SDI video card (from ATEM 1 M/E SD-SDI output)
-USB 3.0 capture card (from ATEM 1 M/E USB)
-Canon GL-1's via BMD Analog/SDI converters

As you can see, it's a step by step process. Our old Panasonic analog mixer went up so I bought the ATEM as the first step towards digital. We initially just dropped it in place and sent the ATEM's NTSC output to our old Panasonic AG-DV2000 DV Tape recorder, and then it went on to our old PC via the DV2000's firewire connection and was recorded in Pinnacle Studio 12. This worked, but was of course still SD and somewhat convoluted.

So, next step towards an HD/widescreen-capable backbone was to upgrade the PC and get the AG-DV2000 out of the equation (the GL-1's can do 16:9, but the DV2000 was 4:3). We got the HP Z400 from BMD's recommended list plus Decklink and USB 3.0 cards and now have the ATEM's SD-SDI program output going to the Decklink card, plus the USB 3.0 connection. We've been experimenting with recording with our current NLEs (Pinnacle 12 Ultimate and Adobe Premiere Elements 7) but only the Pinnacle actually sees anything (using the BMD WMD Capture Driver). The issue is that the audio drops out when recording with Pinnacle after a random amount of time and doesn't come back. It also won't play the audio at all from the get-go within Pinnacle, although if I open the file up in WMP the audio and video play fine, at least until the audio drops out.

We've been experimenting with recording with Media Express but neither Pinnacle or Adobe Premiere Elements will work with any of the recorded formats. We also are looking at Davinci Resolve Lite 11 (for editing and to learn color correction), however, none of the Media Express avi wrappers work with Davinci Resolve (per tech support only the Mac Media Express AVI versions work). We've been experimenting with recording in DPX from both DR Lite and Media Express, and the other formats DR Lite records in (mov, DNxHD, etc), but 1) the DPX files in Media Express are pretty huge and filled up our drive real quick, and 2) I'm having trouble figuring out how to record and edit files in DR Lite.

We also even tried using UpDownCross converters to bring the cameras up to 720p, but in addition to the even more hugeness of files in DPX format, DR Lite playback is very jerky, so I don't think my secondary recording drive is up to snuff. I tried an external USB 3.0 drive (also 7200 rpm, 2TB) and it was even worse. I was thinking of trying an eSATA external drive, but have to get the HP cable kit first.

So, after all of this...my questions?
1) Anyone know why the audio would keep cutting off while recording to Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate via the BMD WDM Capture driver in SD?
2) Is there a list of recommended HD-capable NLEs that work well with the ATEM (and don't cost $800-$1000), specifically that would work with both the USB 3.0 and Decklink capture recording methods?
3) Is it worth upgrading the internal drive to an SSD, or should I go eSATA, and is RAID absolutely required (i.e. striping setup, which I'm just learning about)? Any recommendations on specs/best bang/buck for starting out with 720p video?
4) Is there a good tutorial on Davinci Resolve Lite 11 that covers a step by step "here's how you set up to record and then how you use the NLE portion"? Seems all the tutorials I find are on color correction, which is great, but I kinda need to learn the recording/NLE part of DR Lite first, lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jeff

Jeff Klein, DMC-E
AV Project Manager/DoD
Volunteer Tech Director
Faith Baptist Church
Glen Burnie, Maryland
http://www.faithbc.net / @FBC_TechTeam
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jeff-klein/32/852/6ba

"Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]