FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC recording with miniconverter 4k to Hyperdeck Shuttle 2

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Larson
PC recording with miniconverter 4k to Hyperdeck Shuttle 2
on Nov 22, 2014 at 5:02:21 am

Please!! Has anyone been successful in recording with the following setup:

PC's HDMI output -> Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 4K mini-converter (firmware 4.0.3) -> Hyperdeck Shuttle 2.

AND

Your PC does NOT have the the ability to switch the color space from RGB to YUV in the graphics settings.

According to the following information about Blackmagic's Converter software it seams like it should be possible.

Blackmagic Converters 4.0.3
Update adds support for YUV output from RGB input on Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 4K and SD down conversion bug fix on Mini Converter SDI to Analog 4K. Has support for Mac OS X 10.10.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/broadcast-converters

What's new in Converter Utility 4.0.3
Force output to YUV.
Correct orientation of mini switches.
General performance and stability improvements.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/readme/1332

I would also need a HDMI splitter (suggestions welcome) since my PC only has one HDMI out and I want to use a computer monitor and NOT a expensive production monitor. From want I've read, the splitter needs to have a EDID Minder. (Extended Display Identification Data)
http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=uedid

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: PC recording with miniconverter 4k to Hyperdeck Shuttle 2
on Nov 24, 2014 at 7:40:16 pm

Make sure your computer is not set to 60p. The HDMI to SDI converter supports 1080p60, but the Shuttle only supports up to 1080i60.

Return to posts index

Mike Larson
on Nov 25, 2014 at 2:38:08 am

So you have done this and can confirm it works? Are you using a production monitor or just a PC monitor? If your using a PC monitor what splitter are your using?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:28:17 pm

I have a Hyperdeck Studio Pro (not the Shuttle) which does support 1080p60, and I am able to get my computer signal to record (though only in ProRes since there's not enough bandwidth for uncompressed). I am using a Dell PC monitor P2414H which has support for both RGB and YCbCr color (though not all Dell or other manufacturers monitors will support both). I am using the HDMI out port of the Hyperdeck not a separate splitter.

Return to posts index

Mike Larson
on Nov 25, 2014 at 10:36:06 pm

That's really disappointing that I would only be able to record in ProRes and not uncompressed.

I had looked at Dell monitors but I didn't think they could be connected to the Hyperdeck. The manual for your monitor shows support for YPbPr not YCbCr which I didn't think were compatible:
Page 15:
"Input Color Format: YPbPr: Select this option if your DVD player supports YPbPr only."
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Dis...

But if you say it's working I believe you, I'm just a bit confused about the differences between YPbPr and YCbCr.

Also I thought that monitoring through the recorder could create a delay that might unsync the audio and video.

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Nov 26, 2014 at 12:30:45 am

With HDMI and SDI video, the audio bits are embedded into each video frame. As long as the video frames arrive in order the audio and video will be delayed by the same amount.

The difference between YCbCr and YPbPr is subtle. Historically the YPbPr standard was for defining analog component video signals (over green, blue, and red RCA jacks) and defined the proper voltage range to use for the Y (black and white), Y - B (b/w minus blue) and Y - R (b/w minus red) signal. The YCbCr standard was the digital equivalent where the voltage level was converted into a number (ie 0.775 volts equals 127). Nowadays, the terms are used fairly interchangably.

Return to posts index

Mike Larson
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:27:14 am

This would be my setup:

Shure SM7B mic -> Presonus AudioBox 22VSL USB 2.0 audio interface -> Blackmagic Hdmi to Sdi 4K -> Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 -> PC monitor

Also as long as my audio interface is set to output 24bit audio (which it can) and I've set HDMI from my PC to 24bit, then the Hyperdeck will record 24bit audio correct?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Nov 26, 2014 at 10:24:01 pm

I believe the Hyperdeck can only record in 24-bit 48khz LPCM audio, so yes.

Return to posts index

Mike Larson
on Nov 27, 2014 at 4:48:41 pm

Andrew Riebe posted here in the Creativecow forums that he was able to record uncompressed, 10bit 1080p 30fps using the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. He used a Dell Precision M4700 laptop with NVidia Quadro 1000M graphics.

Hyperdeck Shuttle Green HDMI In:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/882374

Return to posts index

Tim Durham
on Dec 5, 2014 at 6:29:14 pm

So I have been working all morning on this issue. I need to use my laptop to stream live video (I use vMix HD). I needed to record the output of the stream but I want to do that externally on my Hyperdeck Shuttle.

My streaming PC has 2 Decklink Quad cards so all my connections are SDI (including the HypDeck Shuttle).

But now that I want to use my laptop I got the green screen and found out that is because my laptop is outputing RGP and the Shuttle needs YUV.

So the very simple solution was to use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111384026849 ($45). I have 6 of these that we use to convert the signal from our Sony cameras to SDI for the Decklink Quad.

This little box solved my problem. Take the laptop HDMI output, go to the converter, then from the SDI out on the converter to the Shuttle. I still have the HDMI "out" on the shuttle going to a monitor so I can verify the video is going thru.

Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else has the same problem I did.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:01:31 pm

BTW Depending on the video card and the driver settings, you can set the HDMI out to YUV or RGB in the video card control panel. For example Nvidia has the option in their control panel to set the HDMi out to YUV if you require. HDMi supports both so it's simply up to the manufacturer and the driver whether the option is there or not.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]