FORUMS: list search recent posts

UltraStudio 4K + VideoHub + Avid MC 8.2 = Uggh

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
UltraStudio 4K + VideoHub + Avid MC 8.2 = Uggh
on Nov 21, 2014 at 5:27:18 pm

Running Avid MC 8.2 with US4K.

Runs great with HD XDCAM decks via VideoHub > US4K.

However we have a Sony 5800 and a 2600 (worked fine using VideoHub > Avid Nitris DX) not passing through to Avid MC but we can see the Analog > SDI (using BMD converters) in the US4K display and it shows in VideoHub > Flanders.

In plain english, we cant see anything from an Analog converted to SDI source Avid MC using the UltraStudio. I can hear the audio from AES EBU via a Yamaha DM1000 console but no video source.

The obvious Avid errors pop-up e.g. blah blah BOB crap and the Invalid Video source warning.

The setting are set to NTSC in the BMD System Prefs as well.

With the above setup, I cant get video feed into Media Express either.

This all worked fine with MC 7.x

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: UltraStudio 4K + VideoHub + Avid MC 8.2 = Uggh
on Nov 26, 2014 at 8:30:17 pm

and exactly how are you blaming the Blackmagic equipment for your lack of knowledge on this subject ?.
The Sony 5800 (you don't even explain that this is the VO-5800 which is a U-Matic 3/4" VTR from the 1970's) is a heterodyne VTR with no time base corrector. Unless you send this into a frame synchronizer, you will NEVER get this into ANY modern digital SDI product. What is wrong with you ? Before blaming Blackmagic, didn't you try putting this directly into the AVID Nitris DX, and didn't you see that this did NOT work ?

Without a Time Base Corrector or Frame Synchronizer, this is NEVER EVER going to work, and not only will this not be able to be processed by Blackmagic hardware, but any other hardware in the world, except for stuff made in the 70's or 80;s (which is a LONG TIME AGO).

BUT A FRAME SYNC and your problems will be gone.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 26, 2014 at 10:28:05 pm

Perhaps stated a little strongly LOL but this is "Sky is blue, Ziggy Stardust's hair is red" level of indisputable, bedrock, scientific fact. No Time Base Corrector, no joy.

How's this for joy. You can get one shipped for $100-ish from a number of reputable sellers on eBay. I did the search for you and sorted by price. You can pay a little more for one that's a little less banged up, a little more professional componentry, but in any case, not gonna set you back too far.

Just make sure to have your BNC connectors ready to go, or find someone who can add some to your current cables.

Geezers like Bob and me learned about time base correction back in the 70s. A simple concept: all the interlacing of every piece of gear needs to be lined up. Simple, right? Sure is, which is why this stuff doesn't cost a fortune.

This is definitely one of those things that most of the folks in COW circles had to wrap our heads around from the day we opened 20 years ago. A lot of dealers just included a time base corrector with all the other accessories like power strips. It was impossible to work without one, right up until I got out of the business in 2000...and as you're discovering, for some folks, it's still "go/no-go" level critical. No TBC? No go.

For sure, a lot of what we learned back in the day is not just irrelevant, but now just plain wrong....but not this. You need something to get all the fields on that interlaced equipment lined up, and this is how you do it.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 2, 2014 at 3:20:01 pm

Haha Bob I deserved that post and I even pressed LIKE ;)

I didnt explain thoroughly on which decks.

They are the Sony PVW-2600 (BetaSP) and VSO-5800 (SVHS) connected to a BMD Analog to SDI converter.
They do work with the Nitris DX, I kept the unit attached to an old 2012 MP just for analog stuff.

BMD Tech has my grumblings and hopefully I can get it to work.

Like I said, this was all working with MC 7.x with no hiccups.

All units in our system are synced with an Antelope and to date, XDCAM and DVCAMs work fine with the UltraStudio 4K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]